Here's a quick weeknight dinner that's a keeper, especially if you love buffalo chicken! This easy, 10-minute microwave meal does not comprise on flavor — it's creamy, spicy, cheesy with tender bell peppers and rotisserie chicken.
These keto buffalo chicken stuffed peppers are a perfect microwave meal. It's because the bell peppers turn deliciously tender when steamed in the microwave and the rest of the ingredients, like store-bought rotisserie chicken, Frank's hot sauce and cheese, just need to be heated until warm and melted. They're just as delicious as stuffed peppers roasted in the oven and they take half the time.
The shining star of this recipe, adapted from Melissa Gray at EatingWell.com, is the buffalo chicken mixture. It's made with tender rotisserie chicken, Frank's hot sauce, Greek yogurt and garlic powder. Initially, we were skeptical about adding yogurt to the buffalo sauce. But, I'm so glad we did since the yogurt makes the sauce creamy and tames the heat and bite of the hot sauce. And when you top the stuffed peppers with melted mozzarella cheese, they're so delicious!
These stuffed peppers are so easy to make, too. Simply place the hollowed pepper halves in a large bowl topped with saran wrap and microwave for 4 minutes. While the peppers steam, combine the shredded rotisserie chicken with hot sauce, Greek yogurt, and garlic powder in a bowl. After the peppers are done steaming, stuff the pepper halves with the buffalo chicken mixture and top with mozzarella cheese. Then, they go into the microwave for about 3 or 4 minutes more. After, add your favorite toppings and dinner is served!
Just a few notes on key ingredients:
- Green bell peppers: If you're looking for lowest amount of net carbs, it's best to buy green, medium-size bell peppers. Green peppers are 1 gram lower in net carbs per serving, while red peppers add one more gram of net carbs per serving. We recommend purchasing organic bell peppers since they're part of the "dirty dozen" with higher levels of pesticide residue.
- Store-bought rotisserie chicken: Shredded rotisserie chicken is perfect for this recipe since it's tender, shreds easily and takes just a few minutes to prepare. We recommend buying a rotisserie chicken that is organic, free-range and free of hormone. Also, check the ingredients to be sure that no sugar is added and only simple seasonings are used.
- Greek yogurt: Even if you don't like Greek yogurt, you may appreciate it in this recipe since it makes the buffalo sauce creamy and tames the bite of the hot sauce. You can use full-fat or fat-free Greek yogurt. You can skip the yogurt if you prefer or even replace with sour cream.
- Blue cheese: Blue cheese is optional in this recipe. It has a strong flavor, and you either like it or don't. We prefer just a few blue cheese crumbles as opposed to blue cheese dressing. We recommend starting off with a very small amount and then adding more to taste.
How To Make
STEP 1: Slice the bell peppers in half from top (stem) to bottom. Scoop out the seeds and remove excess ribs. Place peppers in a large bowl, cut-side up and secure saran wrap around the top of the bowl. Heat in the microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes, until peppers are softened.
STEP 2: While peppers are steaming, add hot sauce, garlic powder and Greek yogurt in medium-sized bowl and stir until well combined.
STEP 3: Add shredded chicken to bowl and mix well.
STEP 4: After peppers are done steaming, remove from bowl with tongs and place cut-side up on a plate. Stuff each pepper with buffalo chicken mixture.
STEP 5: Evenly sprinkle shredded mozzarella over the top of stuffed peppers.
STEP 6: Place the plate in the microwave and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, until mixture is fully warmed and cheese is melted. Top with blue cheese and/or sliced green onions. Or, simply serve as is. Enjoy!
You can top the stuffed peppers with any toppings you like!
It's common for people to top buffalo stuffed peppers with crumbled blue cheese or blue cheese dressing. If you're not sure whether you'll like the blue cheese topping, we recommend adding just a small amount (as the flavor is quite strong) and then adding more to taste. We prefer crumbled blue cheese as opposed to blue cheese dressing, but that's totally up to you. My husband likes to top with more hot sauce since he loves them super spicy. You can also top with sliced green onions or chives.
How to Store
Although these stuffed peppers are best when eaten immediately, you can store leftovers in the fridge for two to three days.
More Microwave Recipes
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag @lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Keto Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers in the Microwave (10 Minutes!)
- 2 green, medium-size bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 ½ cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Frank's hot sauce or other type of hot sauce (amount depends on preferred level of spice)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- Crumbled blue cheese or blue cheese dressing (optional)
- Chopped green onions or chives (optional)
- Prepare the peppers: Slice peppers in half from top (stem) to bottom. Scoop out seeds and remove excess ribs. Place peppers in a large bowl, cut-side up and secure saran wrap around the top of the bowl. Heat in microwave on high for 4 minutes or slightly more, until peppers are softened.
- Prepare the buffalo stuffing: While peppers are steaming, add hot sauce, garlic powder and Greek yogurt in medium-sized bowl and stir until well combined. Add shredded chicken to bowl and mix well.
- Finish and serve: After peppers are done steaming, remove from bowl with tongs and place cut-side up on a plate. Stuff each pepper with buffalo chicken mixture. Evenly sprinkle shredded mozzarella over the top of peppers. Place the plate in the microwave and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, until mixture is fully warmed and cheese is melted. Simply serve as is or top with blue cheese and/or sliced green onions.
Leave a Comment