You wouldn't guess this is a 5-minute, 3-ingredient keto tomato soup since the flavor is all there. We love how quick and easy it is!
This quick and easy keto tomato soup with Rao's Arrabbiata Sauce is so simple and delicious, and it sure beats any canned soup that you can buy at the store. It's super convenient when you don't have time to make dinner or lunch or just don't feel like doing much at all!
This warm and comforting tomato soup is ideal in the fall (actually, anytime of year!) or whenever you have some leftover Rao's pasta sauce. This recipe is for one serving of soup, which is just 6.1 net carbs.
Why Make This Recipe
- It uses the best jarred pasta sauce with clean ingredients. In terms of ingredients and taste, Rao's is one of the best store-bought sauces out there. Not only does it taste just as delicious (if not better) than homemade sauce, but you likely won’t find a pasta sauce with less carbs it. That’s because it’s made with simple, high-quality ingredients including tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper, onions, garlic, basil, and oregano. Read our review here.
- It’s made with just 3 ingredients. Since Rao's sauce acts as a flavor bomb in this soup, you really don't need additional spices or flavor ingredients.
- It takes 5 minutes make. Since this soup is only 3 ingredients and uses the microwave for heating, this recipe goes fast — just 5 minutes or less.
The ingredients in this easy keto tomato soup include Rao's Arrabbiata Sauce, chicken broth and heavy cream. Just a few notes on key ingredients:
- Rao's Arrabbiata Sauce: Rao's sauce is the critical ingredient in this keto tomato soup. We prefer arrabbiata sauce since it has more flavor (and heat) than regular marinara sauce. However, you can use another flavor of Rao's sauce if preferred. Just be sure to check the net carbs as some ingredients (such as onion and garlic) may add more carbs.
- Heavy cream: We highly recommend adding heavy cream to create a more creamy soup. We include a few tablespoons to keep the carbs low, but you may add more if you like. Just be aware that adding more will increase the carbs. Alternative options such as coconut milk or almond milk will change the flavor of the soup.
- Chicken broth: This helps thin the soup (without adding any carbs!) and enhances the flavor. If you prefer, you could also use vegetable broth.
How To Make
STEP 1: Pulse the ingredients in a food processor until smooth in texture.
STEP 2: Put mixture in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in microwave for two to three minutes, or until soup reaches desired temperature. Be sure to cover the bowl with a plate or another top that prevents splattering.
STEP 3: Stir when done. Top with with grated cheese or other toppings if desired.
Keto Soup Toppings
There are a lot of tasty low-carb and keto toppings you can add to this soup. Remember, the soup will be a little spicy since it's made with arrabbiata sauce. Some options include:
- Cheese: grated parmesan, shredded cheddar, or mozzarella
- Crunchy stuff: cheese crisps (like Whisps), seed crackers (like Flackers), or other low-carb and keto crackers (like Carbolicious melba toast).
- Fresh herbs: parsley, basil, or oregano
- Other toppings: sour cream, diced green onions, or bacon bits
What to serve with it?
Since this soup is higher in carbs, you'll want to serve it with something lower in carbs. Some options include:
- Slices of cheese and meat (like cheddar cheese slices and pepperoni or salami)
- Caesar salad (without the croutons and tomatoes) or another salad that is low in carbs
- Fresh veggies (like celery and cauliflower) with ranch dip
- Rotisserie chicken
Most canned soups or restaurant tomato soups are not keto-friendly due to their ingredients, which usually include added sweeteners. It's best to make your own low-carb or keto soup at home so you can carefully balance the ingredients and keep the carbs low. This low-carb and keto tomato soup is only 6 net carbs per serving.
Each ½ cup serving of Rao's Arrabbiata Sauce is 5 net carbs.
Yes, you can eat tomatoes in moderation on a keto diet. Tomatoes are lower in carbs than most other fruits and contain roughly 2 to 3 net carbs per 3.5 ounces. However, be aware that many store-bought tomato products, such as tomato sauces, canned tomatoes or juices, may not be keto-friendly due to added sugars. Always check the net carbs when purchasing tomato-based products at the store.
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag @lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
5-Minute, 3-Ingredient Keto Tomato Soup
- ½ cup Rao's Arrabbiata Sauce
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a food processor or blender, pulse arrabbiata sauce, chicken broth and heavy cream until smooth in texture.
- Put mixture in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in microwave for two minutes, or until soup reaches desired temperature.
- Stir and top with grated cheese or other toppings if desired.