Italian Amaretti cookies are yummy little almond-flavored macaroons, which are soft and chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Since these cookies are originally made with almond flour, minimal adaptations are required for this keto cookie recipe – outside of swapping regular sugar with a sugar alternative such as Swerve Sweetener.
Although amaretti cookies are typically made during the Christmas season (you’ve probably noticed grocers selling these little gems right after Thanksgiving in the United States), we make them all year round since they’re one of favorite keto cookies. Although we love these cookies for their sweet almond flavor – we think they’re the perfect sweet-but-not-too sweet type of cookie.
Another reason to love these cookies: they’re simple and easy to make. And with only 7 ingredients, they are also quick to prepare. Here are the basic steps to making these cookies:
- To prevent the cookies from burning on the bottom, we follow the advice from Lindsay at Love and Olive Oil. We stack two matching rimmed baking sheets on top of one another and line the top one with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, you'll whisk together almond flour, Swerve Sweetener, and salt. Instead of measuring the flour and sweetener in cups, we STRONGLY recommend weighing the flour and sweetener in grams as indicated in the recipe. This will produce the right amount and best results.
- In a separate bowl, you'll beat the egg whites to soft peaks with an electric mixer. Then, gently fold in the lemon juice and almond and vanilla extract.
- After, you'll fold the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and gently mix until a moist and slightly stick dough forms.
- Then, you'll roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. We like to slightly flatten the top of each dough ball, but that's up to you.
- Then, it's baking time! You'll bake the cookies in a 325-degree preheated oven. The cookies typically take about 20 minutes or less to bake. But, you'll want to remove them from the oven when they are lightly golden on the outside with a few cracks. Just be careful that they don't turn too golden brown.
- Once they're done, take them out and let them cool on the baking sheet for several minutes (they're very delicate right out of the oven). After several minutes, transfer them to a wire wrack to let them cool. At that point, we lightly sprinkle with Swerve Confectioners Sweetener. Then, let the cookies continue cooling to room temperature.
On the first day, you'll notice the cookies will be quite soft and chewy when eating. But after a day or so, the exterior of the cookies turns nice and crisp, while the inside remains soft and chewy.
One important note: Amaretti cookies turn out best when you use one of finest grinds of almond flour. The brands with the finest grinds include Wellbee’s and Honeyville, which are orderable from Amazon.
You can enjoy these amaretti cookies any time of the day, too. They’re great in the morning with coffee, or as afternoon snack, and even as an after- dinner dessert. One keto amaretti cookie is less than 1 net carb!
We hope you enjoy these yummy little keto treats!
Keto Amaretti Cookies
- 200 grams roughly 2 cups super-fine and blanched almond flour — we recommend [Honeyville] or Wellbee's
- 100 grams Swerve Confectioners (or roughly ⅔ cup) for cookie dough
- 1 tablespoon Swerve Confectioners for sprinkling on top of baked cookies
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Get started: Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Stack two matching, rimmed baking sheets on top of one another (to prevent burning on the bottoms of cookies). Line the top one with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Make cookie dough: In a large bowl, combine almond flour, Swerve Sweetener, and salt. Whisk together well. Set aside. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites on high with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add almond extract, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Fold together until just combined. Then, fold egg white mixture into dry ingredients. Gently mix until a moist, slightly sticky dough forms. With a spoon, gather about a tablespoon of dough for each cookie. With your hands, roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Place each dough ball on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Slightly flatten the top of each dough ball.
- Combine and bake: Bake until cookies are lightly golden with cracks, about 20 minutes. We recommend checking for doneness after15 minutes since ovens may differ. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on baking sheet for several minutes. Then, transfer cookies to a wire rack and lightly sprinkle with Swerve Confectioners Sweetener. Let cookies continue to cool to room temperature. After, store in an airtight container for a week.
Leave a Comment