To make this quick, 5-minute keto spicy bok choy, we prepare it the easy way: we steam it in the microwave. And this quick weeknight keto side dish packs a TON of flavor since it's topped with a dressing made of soy sauce, sambal, ginger and olive oil. If you haven't had sambal sauce, it's very similar to sriracha (and just as spicy!) -- but doesn't contain sugar.
At your local store, you'll likely find baby bok choy and the larger bok choy. You can use either one in this dish. We typically use baby bok choy since it isn't quite as large.
It's interesting to note that the leafy greens are slightly lower in carbs than the stems. But, the stems are wonderful to eat along with the leaves since they turn a tasty tender-crisp when steamed in the microwave.
Steaming bok choy in the microwave is simple. Since microwaves heat differently, you will need to monitor the bok choy for doneness after a few minutes. It’s important to stop steaming the bok choy as soon as the stems are just tender. The leaves will be tender and wilted, which is what you want. If you steam the bok choy too long, then the stems will turn mushy (as opposed to being tender-crisp).
Here are basic steps for making this easy, microwave bok choy:
- Cut off root portion, about one inch up from the bottom. Remove each stalk from the core. Wash leaves and stems and dry well.
- In a large microwave-safe plate, lay bok choy next to one another and in a single layer.
- Cover the plate with a few layers of damp paper towels.
- Microwave on high for two and a half minutes. Then, check for doneness. Continue to heat in 30-second increments until done. Remember, stop steaming the bok choy as soon as the stems are just tender (you do not want mushy stems!)
- With a tongs, pick up bok choy from microwave-safe plate and light shake to remove any excess water. Place in a serving bowl and drizzle with the spicy soy dressing. Use tongs to toss the bok choy with dressing. Then, it's ready to serve!
Each serving of bok choy is just 3.6 net carbs. If you like the spicy soy dressing, then you should check out our Keto Spicy Soy Salmon! We hope you enjoy this yummy keto side dish as much as we do!
- 2 heads baby bok choy, roughly 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sambal sauce (½ tablespoon for less spicy)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- Prepare bok choy: Cut off root portion of bok choy, about one inch up from the bottom. Remove each stalk from the core. Wash leaves and stems and dry well.
- Microwave: In a large microwave-safe plate, lay bok choy next to one another and in a single layer. Cover the plate with a several layers of damp paper towel. Microwave on high for two and a half minutes. Then, check for doneness. Continue to heat in 30-second increments until done. Stems should be tender-crisp and not mushy,
- Make spicy soy dressing: While bok choy is steaming in microwave, whisk together soy sauce, sambal, olive oil and minced ginger in a small bowl.
- Plate and serve: With a tongs, pick up bok choy from microwave-safe plate and light shake to remove any excess water. Place in a serving bowl and drizzle with the spicy soy dressing. Use tongs to toss bok choy with dressing. Serve while still warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 101.8Total Fat 7.5gSaturated Fat 1.1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 652.5mgCarbohydrates 5.9gNet Carbohydrates 3.6gFiber 2.3gSugar 2.8gProtein 4.4g