We truly believe this is the best keto chai mug cake out there. It’s moist, light and airy, and bursts with chai flavor. Even if you’re not a chai fan, we think you’ll love it.
Mug cakes may not be as perfect as bake-in-the-oven cakes, but we'd say they're the second best thing. Because when you're looking for a dessert that is delicious and quick to make, then a mug cake is perfect (I mean, how can you beat a few minutes?!).
You may wonder why this recipe uses pumpkin pie spice and cardamom for chai flavor. It’s because the spices in pumpkin pie spice are similar to the spices used in chai, with the exception of cardamom (which is why we add it). The amount of spices used in each blend may differ, but the flavor is pretty similar. Therefore, our shortcut chai spice is pumpkin pie spice plus cardamom.
Typical chai spices include ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground allspice, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, PLUS ground cardamom. Typical pumpkin pie spices include ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground allspice, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg.
Important tips for making it
Even through keto mug cakes are quick and easy to make, it’s important to follow a few tips for best results!
- Use a large, 12-ounce mug for the cake. If you do not have a large mug, use a mason jar or small microwavable bowl. When heating, the cake will rise AND MAY OVERFLOW if the container isn’t large enough.
- Do not fill the mug more than half full or it may overflow.
- To make, add dry ingredients first (stir well to combine!). Then, add melted butter, one egg (well beaten) and vanilla, and stir well again.
- Microwave for 60 seconds, then check if done. If not done, heat in 15-second segments until done. Our mug cake is usually done in 1 minute and 15 seconds.
- When done, the cake will look slightly wet in the center. If it’s still completely wet, then return to microwave for 15 seconds longer.
When you remove the mug cake from the microwave, it is normal for it to deflate. Mug cakes are best to eat when still a little warm, but not just right-out-of-the-microwave hot. We typically top with sugar-free whipped cream, but you could top with any keto ice cream of your choice. Then it’s time to dig in!
This chai keto mug cake is only 8 ingredients and 3.9 net carbs. We hope you love it as much as we do!
The Best Keto Chai Mug Cake
- 3 tablespoons super-fine blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons Swerve Granular
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 large egg beaten
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients: In a large, 12-ounce mug or small bowl, add almond flour, sweetener, pumpkin pie spice, ground cardamom, and baking powder. Whisk together until well combined.
- Combine wet ingredients: Add melted butter, then well-beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Stir again until thoroughly combined.
- Microwave: Microwave on high for 60 seconds and check if done (note: in our microwave it takes 1 minute and 15 seconds). If it is completely wet (as opposed to slightly wet in the center), then microwave in 15-second increments until done. It will be slightly wet in center and sticky in middle when done. Be careful not to overcook.
- Serve: If desired, top with sugar-free whipped cream or keto ice cream. Or, you may simply eat as is.
Leave a Comment