Who doesn't love a yummy blueberry muffin for breakfast every once in a while? Before going on a low-carb and keto diet, we use to buy blueberry muffins at Starbucks or elsewhere — simply out of convenience. But that is no longer an option for us. And since many of us are short on time, it can be difficult to find the time to bake up some muffins.
That's where this keto blueberry mug muffin comes in — it's quick, easy and satisfies cravings for a sweet blueberry muffin. This keto blueberry muffin is moist and sweet with the right amount of blueberry goodness.
Making a keto blueberry mug muffin is similar to making other mug cakes. It's simply a matter of mixing all the dry ingredients together before stirring in the wet ingredients and then microwaving it for just over a minute.
Important tips for making it
Even through keto mug muffins and cakes are quick and easy to make, it’s important to follow a few tips for best results!
- Use a large, 12-ounce mug for the muffin cake. If you do not have a large mug, use a mason jar or small microwavable bowl. When heating, the cake will rise AND MAY OVERFLOW if the container isn’t large enough.
- Do not fill the mug more than half full or it may overflow.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds. If not done, heat in 15-second segments until done. Our mug muffin is usually done in 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- When done, the mug muffin will look slightly wet in the center. If it’s still completely wet, then return to microwave for 15 seconds longer.
When you remove the mug muffin from the microwave, it is normal for it to deflate. Mug muffins and cakes are best to eat when still a little warm, but not just right-out-of-the-microwave hot. This keto blueberry mug muffin is only 8 ingredients and 3.9 net carbs. We hope you enjoy it!
Keto Blueberry Mug Muffin
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- ½ tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons Swerve Granular
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅛ cup fresh blueberries (about 9 blueberries)
- Combine dry ingredients: In a large, 12-ounce mug or small bowl, add almond and coconut flour, sweetener and baking powder. Whisk together until well combined.
- Combine wet ingredients: Add melted butter, well-beaten egg, vanilla extract, and lemon zest to mug. Stir until thoroughly combined. Then, mix in half of blueberries. Drop the rest on top and gently push in batter if need be.
- Microwave: Microwave on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds. If it is completely wet (as opposed to slightly wet in the center), then microwave in 15-second increments until done (our mug muffin usually takes 1 minute and 30 seconds in the microwave). It will be slightly wet in center and sticky in middle when done.
- Serve: If desired, top with Swerve powdered sweetener or sugar-free whipped cream. Or, you may simply eat as is.