If you're looking for an amazing chicken recipe that packs a TON of flavor, this is it. But, it's more than deliciously spicy -- the skin on these low-carb and keto tandoori chicken drumsticks turns perfectly crisp (our favorite part!) and the chicken is beautifully tender and juicy.
Plus, this fool-proof recipe is simple to make. It's simply a matter of mixing the ingredients for the marinade and letting the chicken marinate before popping in the oven. We recommend marinating for at least 30 minutes. If you can marinate the morning of or the night before even better. But, don't worry too much if you can't.
The tandoori chicken drumsticks usually roast in 40 minutes or less. Each serving of tandoori drumsticks is just 5 net carbs per serving.
What is Tandoori Chicken
Tandoori chicken is a dish from India in which the chicken is marinated in yogurt with spices and is then cooked in a clay oven called a tandoor. The spices used in tandoori chicken typically include: garlic, ginger, garam masala, cayenne pepper, red chili powder or Kashmiri chili powder, and sometimes turmeric and paprika. Yogurt is a key part of the marinade since it gently tenderizes the chicken.
As many of us do not own a tandoor, you can simply roast the chicken in a high-heat oven or over the grill. Both work well.
There are fewer ingredients in our tandoori chicken since we always stick to 8 ingredients or less on our blog. But, we use the ingredients that pack the most flavor to get the greatest impact -- and the flavor is all there.
As mentioned, there are only 8 ingredients in the tandoori chicken recipe: chicken drumsticks, unsweetened Greek yogurt, minced garlic and ginger, garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt.
You can tame the level of spice with the amount of cayenne pepper. If you're looking for just a little kick, then we recommend using about ½ teaspoon (or slightly less) of cayenne. If you want more heat -- like us -- then use 1 teaspoon of it.
How To Make Roasted Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks
To marinate the chicken, you'll first grate (we highly recommend using a microplane!) or mince the garlic and ginger. Then, in a large bowl, you'll mix the garlic and ginger with the yogurt and the other spices until well blended.
After, you'll combine the chicken and marinade until the chicken is fully coated. We recommend marinating for at least 30 minutes. If you're able to marinate the night before or the morning of, just be sure to cover and refrigerate.
Last, you'll roast the drumsticks on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper and a rack on top. We recommend lightly greasing the baking rack with avocado oil, so the chicken doesn't stick. You'll roast the drumsticks for roughly 40 minutes at 450 degrees, flipping the drumsticks halfway through. To get skin even more crispy, simply broil for a few minutes on each side until slightly charred.
How to serve
We recommend serving the chicken tandoori drumsticks with a seasoned yogurt (similar to an Indian Raita) to help cool the heat from the spices while eating. We've included the instructions for the simple yogurt blend in the recipe instructions below. To make it, you simply mix the yogurt with minced garlic, lemon juice, and a little salt and pepper. We sometimes add cilantro, but it's not necessary.
Since the drumsticks are quite filling, we usually serve with a light salad. But, you could serve with any type of veggies you like. Check out some of our quick and simple veggies sides here.
Other Recipes You May Like
Check out our other low-carb and keto-friendly dinners you may like:
- Easy Keto Chicken Tikka Masala: This shortcut keto chicken tikka masala recipe may not be entirely authentic, but it tastes pretty darn similar to the real thing (and we’re pretty picky when it comes to chicken tikka masala). It’s rich, creamy and spicy and made with just 8 ingredients (as opposed to the typical 20 plus ingredients).
- Quick & Easy Keto Chili: This quick and easy keto chili is rich and flavorful and only takes 35 minutes to make! It’s also easy, just 8 ingredients and 3.8 net carbs!
- 15-Minute Keto Paneer Masala: If you love paneer masala, then you’ll love this shortcut recipe. This low-carb and keto paneer masala is perfect for busy weeknights since it only takes 15 minutes to make. Although some of the ingredients differ from an authentic paneer masala (like paneer makhani), this recipe tastes just as delicious.
- ½ cup unsweetened Greek yogurt for marinade and ½ cup for yogurt dip — we use Fage Total 2% Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ginger, granted or minced — we grate with a Microplane
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated or minced — we grate with a Microplane
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne (depending on preferred spice level)
- 2 pound chicken drumsticks (about 8 drumsticks)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (if desired for yogurt dip)
- Cilantro for serving (optional)
- Get started: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grate or mince a tablespoon of garlic and ginger. In a large bowl, combine ½ cup yogurt, garlic and ginger, garam masala, cumin, and cayenne. Stir well. Season chicken drumsticks with salt. Combine the chicken and marinade until chicken is fully coated. We recommend marinating for at least 30 minutes. If you're able to marinate the night before or the morning of, then cover and refrigerate.
- Make yogurt dip (if desired): Combine ½ cup yogurt, 1 minced garlic clove and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bake: Line a rimmed baking sheet parchment paper. On top, place a baking rack. Lightly grease the rack with avocado oil. As soon as chicken is done marinating, space out chicken drumsticks on rack. Put in 450 degree oven and bake for 40 minutes (when done, chicken should register 165 degrees on thermometer). Flip drumsticks midway through baking. To make the skin even crisper, broil for a few minutes on each side until slightly charged.
- Nutrition information includes the yogurt dip.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size2 drumsticks
Amount Per Serving Calories 515.3Total Fat 28.3gSaturated Fat 7.5gCholesterol 292.4mgSodium 989.2mgCarbohydrates 4.9gNet Carbohydrates 4.5gFiber 0.4gSugar 1.8gProtein 57.4g