Although this shortcut keto chicken tikka masala recipe may not use traditional ingredients, it tastes pretty darn similar to the what you might get served at an Indian restaurant (and we're pretty picky when it comes to chicken tikka masala). It's rich, creamy and spicy and made with just 8 ingredients (as opposed to the typical 20 plus ingredients). It's a perfect weeknight recipe when you're craving a comforting and flavorful curry.
Like our adapted paneer tikka masala recipe, this recipe uses arrabbiata pasta sauce as a base, which packs the flavor and heat. It also includes a few other key ingredients like garam masala, coriander and heavy cream. All these ingredients are easy to find at your local store -- or you may already have them in your pantry.
We typically serve with cauliflower rice or low-carb pitas. This easy weeknight keto recipe is just 5 net carbs.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- ⅓ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala for marinade PLUS ½ teaspoon for sauce
- 1 teaspoon coriander for marinade PLUS 1 teaspoon for sauce
- 1 cup Rao's Arrabbiata sauce (or other low-carb arrabbiata sauce)
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional - for sauce)
- Prepare chicken: Preheat broiler on high and position oven rack 6 inches from heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In large bowl, whisk together yogurt, 1 teaspoon garam masala and 1 teaspoon coriander. Add chicken and thoroughly coat with marinade. Marinate for at least 15 minutes (or longer if possible) in refrigerator. After marinating, place chicken on rimmed baking sheet with cooling/baking rack (or line with aluminum foil). Broil chicken for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Prepare tikka masala sauce: While chicken is in oven, combine chicken broth, arrabbiata sauce, heavy cream, ½ teaspoon garam masala and 1 teaspoon coriander (and ½ teaspoon ginger if you like) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat and gently simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Finish and serve: When chicken is done, place on cutting board and cut into 2-inch pieces. Stir chicken pieces into sauce and simmer for a few minutes more. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve with riced cauliflower or low-carb pita bread.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 639.5Total Fat 40.7gSaturated Fat 16.3gCholesterol 359.8mgSodium 1081.9mgCarbohydrates 7.0gNet Carbohydrates 5.6gFiber 1.4gSugar 3.5gProtein 60.5g