This keto piña colada tastes like the real deal due the right combination of fruity pineapple flavor, creamy coconut, and crushed ice.
Piña coladas have got to be the best warm weather drink (with or without alcohol) due to the addicting combination of fruity pineapple, creamy coconut, and crushed ice. Not only that, they’re simple to prepare, which makes them an ideal summer or vacation drink.
However, not all piña coladas are made the same. In fact, it can be hard to find a decent piña colada — they’re either too sweet, watered-down, or not the right combination of flavors. And forget trying to order a low-carb or keto piña colada when you’re out and about!
Keto piña coladas can be difficult to make since one of the key ingredients, pineapple juice, is high in carbs. So, finding a decent pineapple juice replacement can be tricky.
Luckily, my husband makes the best piña coladas — keto and full carb (okay, I may be a little biased 😃). In his attempt to perfect a keto piña colada, I tried MANY iterations. In fact, I’ve never had so many piña coladas at once (don’t worry, they were virgin). And when he finally got it right, we added some rum and, boy, was it delicious!
This keto piña colada recipe is only 6 ingredients, 2 net carbs, and takes just 5 minutes to prepare. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
A Little About Piña Coladas
The piña colada, a tropical, mixed drink originating from Puerto Rico, is typically made with pineapple juice, coconut milk or cream of coconut, rum and crushed ice. However, there are many variations of it, including virgin piña colada (without rum) and amaretto (amaretto replaces the rum). It’s a refreshing beach or pool-side drink to enjoy when it’s hot.
This keto piña colada is made with just 6 ingredients including:
- ½ teaspoon Stur Coconut Pineapple flavor — you can find Stur water enhancers at most large grocers (we buy ours from the local Safeway). If you can't find the Stur brand at your local store, you can probably find similar sugar-free water enhancers from other brands like Crystal Light.
- ¼ cup canned coconut milk (we highly recommend Aroy-D) — please see below section on choosing the right coconut milk.
- 2 ½ teaspoons Swerve Granular
- 1 fluid ounce rum (or leave out if making alcohol free)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup ice cubes (about 60 grams)
The Right Coconut Milk for Piña Coladas
At the store, you generally find multiple types of coconut milk, including coconut milk in a can and coconut milk in a carton. The thicker, full-fat coconut milk is typically used for curries and usually (though not always) sold in a can. This is the type of coconut milk you want to use for a piña colada. The coconut milk sold in a carton, as a dairy free milk alternative, and sometimes referred to as "coconut milk beverage", is too watered down. Many standard piña colada recipes use of "cream of coconut," but that is a form of coconut cream loaded with sugar and not keto-friendly.
We've also found choosing the right brand of coconut milk can make or break a recipe, especially one where it's the central ingredient (like this one). We've taste tested a lot of coconut milk brands for our keto Thai recipes over the years, and highly recommend Aroy-D Coconut Milk (which confusingly is sold in both cartons and cans, but both packages contain the same type of milk). Unlike other ingredients where the brands are generally interchangeable, the right coconut milk really makes a difference in the final piña colada drink (and other recipes for that matter).
Alcohol in Moderation on Keto
While many spirits, such as rum, have zero carbs, you do need to moderate your alcohol consumption while on a keto diet. Alcohol not only slows your rate of ketosis, but you're more likely to become drunk faster and suffer a worse hangover. Therefore, it's best to moderate your alcohol consumption while on a keto diet.
Other Low Carb and Keto Drinks
Here are some other low-carb and keto drinks you may enjoy:
- Keto Masala Chai: This keto masala chai is so tasty and hits the spot — it's creamy, a little sweet, well-spiced, and so comforting to enjoy!
- Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie: This keto chocolate peanut butter smoothie is a delicious option for breakfast, an afternoon snack or even dessert. It's lightly sweetened, not too heavy on cream, and has the right ratio of chocolate to peanut butter. It's so yummy!
- Keto Strawberry Lassi: This creamy, fruity and low-carb strawberry lassi is a simple and quick treat to make! Since yogurt is the main ingredient in a lassi, it's high in protein and calcium, and packed with probiotics (healthy bacteria that can improve immune system and gut health).
- Mix and serve: Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until crushed to desired consistency. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition information includes calories from 1 fluid ounce of rum.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 149.2Total Fat 8.5gSaturated Fat 7.5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 7.5mgCarbohydrates 12.2gNet Carbohydrates 2.2gFiber 0gSugar 1.0gSugar Alcohols 10.0gProtein 0.5g