Can't think of a better way to start the day than with this yummy, high-protein mocha shake! It's sweet, filling, full of chocolate flavor and made with chilled coffee to help get you going. Not only that it's low in carbs, sugar-free and takes just 5 minutes to make!
Mornings are always better with coffee and chocolate. And a good breakfast should be rich in protein. With this tasty breakfast shake, you get it all.
This simple mocha shake is made with chilled coffee, chocolate protein powder, sugar-free sweetener, unsweetened cocoa powder, almond milk and ice. It's a perfect take-and-go breakfast since it can be made in 5 minutes. Just combine the ingredients in a blender and pulse to a smooth consistency and you're done.
It's an ideal shake for hectic mornings or after workouts to help rebuild muscle proteins. It's 8.2 grams of net carbs and 71 percent protein (18 grams). Here's to a high-protein breakfast!
What's a Mocha?
A mocha, also known as a cafè mocha, is a combination of espresso, milk and chocolate. It's basically a latte with chocolate.
Just 6 ingredients in this mocha shake. Here are notes on key ingredients:
- Chilled coffee: You'll first need to chill brewed coffee in the fridge or freezer so it's cool. If your morning is hectic, simply make the coffee the night before and set in the fridge. You just don't want to melt the ice cubes with hot coffee!
- Unsweetened, vanilla almond milk: We typically buy unsweetened, vanilla-flavored almond milk, but you could also use regular, unsweetened almond milk.
- Ice cubes: We use 6 medium-size ice cubes, which is slightly more than a ½ cup, and most likely ⅔ cup (ice cubes are so awkward to measure!). Ice cubes are important for a thick, frothy shake.
- Low-carb, chocolate whey protein powder: We use a low-carb chocolate whey protein powder in this shake. Our favorite chocolate protein power is Quest Chocolate Milkshake. However, you may use another low-carb or keto chocolate protein powder if preferred.
- Powdered erythritol: We use Swerve Confectioners, but you can use any brand of erythritol sweetener.
How to Make
STEP 1: Chill at least a ½ cup of brewed coffee in the fridge or freezer until cooled. If making for breakfast, we recommend making the coffee the night before and setting in the fridge overnight to cool.
STEP 2: Combine all the ingredients in a blender.
STEP 3: Pulse on high until well combined and smooth in consistency. Then, pour and serve!
How to Store
Although the shake is best when just prepared, you may make ahead. Simply store in the fridge for a day or two in an airtight container.
BENEFITS OF A HIGH PROTEIN MEAL
We love high-protein meals since they help keep you full for longer periods of time, making it less likely for you to overeat or snack between meals. Furthermore, protein is important in maintaining and increasing muscle mass. You can read more about the benefits of high-protein meals at healthline.com.
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag @lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
High-Protein Iced Mocha Shake (Keto, Low Carb)
- ½ cup brewed coffee, chilled
- ⅔ cup ice cubes (6 ice cubes)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened, vanilla-flavored almond milk
- 4 tablespoons low-carb chocolate whey protein powder (we use Quest Chocolate Milkshake)
- 2 teaspoons powdered erythritol (we use Swerve Confectioners)
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Make and chill coffee: Brew and chill at least a ½ cup of coffee in the fridge or freezer until cooled. If making for breakfast, we recommend making the coffee the night before and setting in the fridge to cool overnight.
- Blend and serve: Combine chilled coffee and rest of ingredients in a blender. Pulse on high until well combined and smooth in consistency. Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment