If you love chicken with a bit of a kick, then you'll love this Harissa Chicken and Cauliflower Sheet Pan, adapted from Melissa Clark at the New York Times. It's no surprise the original recipe ranked in the NYT Cooking's top 50 recipes of all time since it's SO delicious. We adapted the recipe to reduce the carbs and simplify the recipe. The preparation for the chicken is the same as the original recipe -- we just replaced the potatoes and leeks with cauliflower florets. However, you may keep the leeks in the recipe since they're fairly low in carbs.
We love the heat in the harissa marinade, but the yogurt topping (which tames the spice) takes the chicken to the next level. If you don't like yogurt, you could use plain sour cream or even store-bought tzatziki as a replacement.
This adapted recipe is a perfect weeknight recipe since it's so easy to prepare and quick to bake. The marinade takes less than 5 minutes to make, and after marinating for roughly 20 minutes, the chicken and cauliflower just take 20 minutes to bake. This yummy low-carb and keto dinner is only 6 net carbs per serving.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- 3 cups (9 ounces) cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons harissa (spicy)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup full-fat, Greek yogurt (see notes if you don't like yogurt)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- Get started: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread a small amount of olive oil on rimmed baking sheet.
- Prepare sheet pan: In a small bowl, stir together olive oil (3 Tb.), harissa and cumin. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine chicken, cauliflower and harissa sauce. Mix until sauce covers chicken and cauliflower.
- Bake: In a single layer, place chicken and cauliflower on rimmed baking sheet. Bake for roughly 20 minutes, until chicken reaches 165 degrees on thermometer.
- Finish and serve. While chicken bakes, mix yogurt, minced garlic and lemon juice (optional) in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. After chicken and cauliflower are done baking, plate chicken with cauliflower and spoon yogurt over the top. Serve leftover yogurt on the side for dipping.
If you don't like yogurt, you could use plain sour cream or even store-bought tzatziki as a replacement.
Amount Per Serving Calories 612.7Total Fat 35.6gSaturated Fat 8.9gCholesterol 306.0mgSodium 903.5mgCarbohydrates 7.8gNet Carbohydrates 6.1gFiber 1.7gSugar 2.7gProtein 60.8g