While ripe strawberries take center stage in this salad, the sweet and tangy poppy seed dressing will have you coming back for more!
Not much longer before strawberry season is here — and we're already getting started with this keto strawberry salad with poppy seed dressing! Of course, sweet, ripe strawberries take center stage in this salad, but the creamy, sweet yet tangy poppy seed dressing is absolutely delicious!
We usually make a larger amount of the poppy seed dressing, so we can enjoy this simple and easy salad throughout the week. Outside of the dressing, the salad is simply made with chopped romaine lettuce, sliced red onions and quartered strawberries.
My mom has been making this strawberry salad with poppy seed dressing for quite some time now. Since we love her recipe, we just made a few minor changes to the dressing (like replacing the milk with heavy cream and replacing the sugar with Swerve Sweetener) so it is low-carb and keto-friendly.
Nuts, like sliced almonds, are another yummy consideration for the salad. We didn't include them in this recipe just to keep the carbs low. But, don't let that stop you as they're pretty darn tasty in the salad.
This quick and easy weeknight salad can be made in about 15 minutes. It goes great with grill dishes, is fun for summer gatherings, and deliciously satisfying when you're craving something a little sweet. Each serving of this salad is just 3 net carbs.
How to Make
To start, you'll first prepare the poppy seed dressing, which is just 5 ingredients. In a small bowl, you'll add ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 ½ tablespoons heavy cream, 2 ½ tablespoons white vinegar, ½ tablespoon poppy seeds, and 1 tablespoon Swerve Sweetener (granular). Whisk together until well combined, and chill in the fridge until ready to use.
Next, slice the red onion into thin slices until you reach ¼ cup. If you prefer to remove the bite from the red onion, soak the sliced red onions in a small bowl of cold water for roughly 10 minutes.
Then, you'll thoroughly rinse the romaine lettuce and chop until you reach 13 ounces (375 grams). Dry the leaves and place in a large serving bowl. Next, rinse, hull and quarter 8 medium strawberries (for a total of 32 strawberry pieces).
After, arrange the strawberries and sliced onions on top of the romaine lettuce and drizzle the poppy seed dressing over the top. Then, it's time to enjoy!
Yes, you can eat strawberries (and in general most berries) while on keto as long as you monitor you how many you eat. A helpful rule of thumb is that one strawberry has about 1 net carb. This makes them a wonderful low-carb recipe ingredient since they offer a fresh fruity flavor — but just be careful not to add too many!
Yes, you can enjoy poppy seeds while on a low carb diet. Each tablespoon is a little less than 1 net carb. They're also a good source of fiber!
Yes, you can use another sugar-free sweetener if you prefer. Just be sure to adjust the measurements for the sugar-free sweetener as necessary (check the conversion rate!).
Yes, you can store in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to a week. Simply shake or stir before using.
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag @lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Keto Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- ½ cup Sir Kensington's Classic Mayonnaise, or other sugar-free mayonnaise
- 2 ½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 ½ tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Swerve Granular
- ½ tablespoon poppy seeds
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 13 ounces romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 8 medium strawberries, rinsed, hulled and quartered
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 ½ tablespoons heavy cream, 2 ½ tablespoons white vinegar, ½ tablespoon poppy seeds, and 1 tablespoon Swerve Sweetener (granular). Mix until well combined. Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
- Prepare the salad: Thinly slice ¼ cup red onion. If you prefer to remove the bite from the red onion, soak sliced red onions in a small bowl of cold water for roughly 10 minutes. Rinse and chop romaine lettuce and place in a large serving bowl. Rinse, hull and quarter 8 medium strawberries (for a total of 32 strawberry pieces).
- Finish and serve: Arrange the strawberries and sliced onions on top of the romaine lettuce and drizzle the poppy seed dressing over the top. Serve immediately.