These 20-minute chipotle shrimp tostadas are made with a crispy cheese base and are topped with homemade guacamole and chipotle garlic shrimp.
Here is one of our favorite keto Mexican recipes using shrimp: chipotle shrimp tostadas, in which the tostadas are simply made of baked cheese. It's the combination of flavors and textures that makes these 20-minute chipotle shrimp tostadas work so well. The cheesy tostadas are break-apart crisp, and are topped with an easy, homemade guacamole, shrimp coated with a chipotle garlic sauce, and, of course, any favorite toppings you'd like to include (here we finish with chopped cilantro and sour cream).
This quick and easy recipe is ideal for busy weeknights, at-home lunches, and even as a fun get together dish or appetizer (made smaller). You can also change up the toppings to your liking — you could top with salsa, sliced jalapenos, diced tomatoes, shredded cabbage, or sliced radishes. A lot of options to consider!
And these tostadas are satisfyingly filling — each serving includes two cheesy tostadas topped with guacamole and ½ pound of shrimp. These chipotle shrimp tostadas are 6 net carbs per serving.
What is a Tostada?
Tostadas are popular in Mexico and other countries in Latin America. They're typically made with corn tortillas, which are deep-fried or baked, so they turn toasted and crispy. The tostada, which can be made flat or in the shape of a bowl, serves as a base that is typically topped with refried beans, meat or shrimp, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and other toppings.
What Makes This Dish Quick and Easy
This quick, fool-proof recipe is pretty darn simple. Here's what makes this dish so quick and easy to make.
- It's just 8 ingredients, many of which you may already have on hand — such as chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, shredded cheese, frozen shrimp, avocados, and garlic.
- The cheesy tostadas are so easy to make — simply spread ¼ cup of shredded Mexican cheese into round circles on top of a parchment-lined baking sheet. Then, bake for about 10 minutes and they're done!
- While the tostadas bake, you can make the quick, 5-minute homemade guacamole — made with just avocados, lime juice, salt, and garlic.
- After thawing the shrimp, the shrimp with chipotle sauce (just 3 ingredients) cook up in less than 5 minutes.
- Any additional toppings are likely in your fridge — such as sour cream, salsa, sliced jalapenos, or slaw mix.
How to make keto cheese tostadas
Keto cheese tostadas are essentially the same as keto cheese chips, which are baked rounds of shredded or sliced cheese — except tostadas are a little bigger (as you'd expect). But, similar to cheese chips, tostadas are very easy to make. Just a few, easy steps and you're done!
- To get started, you'll pre-heat oven to 375 degrees, and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the rounds, you'll use ¼ cup shredded Mexican cheese (or other shredded cheese of choice) and spread into a circle that is about 4 inches wide. Continue this process until you've completed 4 cheese rounds. Be sure to leave enough space between cheese rounds so they don't melt together.
- Then, you'll bake the tostadas for about 10 minutes (more or less) until browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for several minutes until cool and crispy.
- Note: if there are parts of the tostada that are more yellow than brown in color, then those parts will be more chewy than crispy. Therefore, be sure to spread the cheese in a thin and even layer as best as you can.
There are so many fun toppings to consider with theses tostadas. Obviously, the first topping is the simple guacamole made of avocados, minced garlic, lime juice and salt. Then, you'll add the shrimp after cooking with the garlic chipotle sauce.
Now, you can stop there, or you can add a few more toppings to enhance the depth of flavor and texture. Here are some options:
- sour cream (our favorite)
- chopped cilantro
- chopped tomatoes
- shredded cabbage (or store-brought coleslaw mix)
- salsa or pico de gallo
- sliced radishes
- sliced jalapenos
More Low Carb and Keto Mexican Recipes
Here are other low-carb and keto Mexican recipes you may enjoy:
- Rotisserie Chicken tinga tacos (20 Minutes!): With store-bought rotisserie chicken, this low-carb and keto chicken tinga recipe comes together fast (less than 20 minutes!) for your weeknight Taco Tuesday. Chicken tinga, or tinga de pollo, is a classic Mexican dish made with shredded chicken, tomatoes, chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, onions and garlic.
- Skillet steak fajitas (30 Minutes!): The steak in this low-carb and keto skillet fajitas recipe is deliciously tender and juicy with a spicy-smoky flavor, thanks to the marinade with chipotle chilis in adobo sauce. This skillet steak fajitas is a quick weeknight recipe since you can marinate the steak for a quick 15 minutes (or you can marinate it the night before to save time) and can finish making the fajitas in 30 minutes.
- Slow cooker beef barbacoa (10-minute preparation!): We’d easily choose this low-carb and keto slow cooker beef barbacoa as one of our favorite Taco Tuesday dinners. Using a slow cooker helps impart a deep flavor into this incredibly tender and succulent beef barbacoa, which is rich, spicy, smoky and a little tangy. Its savory flavor comes from a blend of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, cumin, lots of garlic, oregano, lime juice, and beef broth.
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 ½ Hass avocados
- 1 garlic clove, minced, for guacamole, PLUS 1 garlic clove, minced, for chipotle sauce
- 1 lime, juiced (should be roughly 1 tablespoons of juice)
- Salt to taste (I start with ¼ teaspoon and add more to taste if need be)
- 1 pound medium-size raw shrimp (peeled, deveined and tail-on), thawed
- 1 ½ tablespoons chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for chipotle sauce, PLUS 1 tablespoon for cooking shrimp
- Make the tostadas: Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. On the parchment paper, add ¼ cup shredded cheese and spread into a circle that is 3 to 4 inches wide. Continue process until you've completed 4 cheese rounds (be sure to leave enough space between cheese rounds so they don't melt together). Bake for about 10 minutes (more or less), until brownish in color. Remove and let sit for several minutes until cool and crispy.
- Prepare the guacamole: Cut avocados in half, lengthwise. Remove and discard pits. With a spoon, remove avocado flesh and put in a bowl. Mash avocados with a spoon or fork until it turns into a chunky consistency. Stir in the minced garlic and lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
- Cook the shrimp: In a small bowl, add the chopped chipotle peppers, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and minced garlic. Stir to combine. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and prepared chipotle sauce and stir to combine. Cook until shrimp turns opaque, about 4 minutes.
- Finish and serve: After tostadas have cooled, place 2 tostadas on each plate. Equally divide the guacamole onto 4 tostadas. Spread guacamole across top and spoon chipotle shrimp over the top. Add any additional toppings as desired. Serve immediately.
Serving Size2 Toastadas per serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 741.6Total Fat 47.7gSaturated Fat 14.4gCholesterol 410.0mgSodium 962.2mgCarbohydrates 14.0gNet Carbohydrates 6.1gFiber 7.9gSugar 1.2gProtein 60.3g