These easy, keto chipotle shrimp tostadas are made with a crispy cheese base and topped with homemade guacamole and chipotle garlic shrimp.
Here is one of our favorite keto Mexican recipes using shrimp: chipotle shrimp tostadas, in which the tostadas are simply made of baked cheese. It's the combination of flavors and textures that makes these keto chipotle shrimp tostadas so tasty.
The cheesy tostadas are break-apart crisp and are topped with a homemade guacamole, shrimp coated in a chipotle garlic sauce, and, of course, any favorite toppings you'd like to include (here we finish with chopped cilantro and sour cream).
It's a quick and easy recipe, ideal for busy weeknights, at-home lunches, or even as a fun appetizer (made smaller). You can also change up the toppings to your liking — you could top with salsa, sliced jalapenos, shredded cabbage, or sliced radishes.
And these tostadas are satisfyingly filling — each serving includes two cheesy tostadas topped with guacamole and ½ pound of shrimp.
What is a Tostada?
Tostadas are typically made with corn tortillas, which are deep-fried or baked, so they turn toasted and crispy. The tostada, which can be made flat or in the shape of a bowl, serves as a base that is typically topped with refried beans, meat or shrimp, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and other toppings.
In our "tostadas," we skip the tortilla and make a crispy base out of baked cheese, which turns out crispy and is carb-free.
What Makes This Dish Quick and Easy
Here's what makes this dish so quick and easy to make.
- It's just 8 ingredients, many of which you may have on hand — such as chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, shredded cheese, frozen shrimp, avocados, and garlic.
- The cheesy tostadas are so easy to make — simply spread ¼ cup of shredded Mexican cheese into round circles on top of a parchment-lined baking sheet. Then, bake for about 10 minutes until slightly browned and crispy.
- While the tostadas bake, you make the quick, 5-minute homemade guacamole — made with just avocados, lime juice, salt, and garlic.
- After thawing the shrimp, the shrimp with chipotle sauce (just 3 ingredients) cook up in less than 5 minutes.
- Any additional toppings are likely in your fridge — such as sour cream, salsa, sliced jalapenos, or slaw mix.
How to Make Cheese Tostadas
Keto cheese tostadas are essentially the same as keto cheese chips, which are baked rounds of shredded or sliced cheese — except tostadas are a little bigger (as you'd expect). But, similar to cheese chips, tostadas are very easy to make. Just a few, easy steps.
STEP 1: First, pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP 2: To make the cheese rounds, you'll use ¼ cup shredded Mexican cheese (or other shredded cheese of choice) and spread into a circle that is about 4 inches wide. Continue this process until you've completed 4 cheese rounds. Be sure to leave enough space between cheese rounds so they don't melt together.
STEP 3: Bake the tostadas for about 10 minutes (more or less) until browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for several minutes until cool and crispy.
Note: If there are parts of the tostada that are more yellow than brown in color, then those parts will be more chewy than crispy. Therefore, be sure to spread the cheese in a thin and even layer as best as you can.
We top the cheese tostadas with a simple guacamole made from mashed avocados, minced garlic, lime juice and salt. Then, we add the shrimp after cooking with the garlic chipotle sauce.
After the shrimp, you can add more toppings as desired. Here are some tasty options:
- sour cream (our favorite)
- chopped cilantro
- shredded cabbage (or store-brought coleslaw mix)
- salsa or pico de gallo
- sliced radishes
- sliced jalapenos
More Low Carb Mexican Recipes
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag@lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Keto Chipotle Shrimp Tostadas (in 20 Minutes!)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 ½ Hass avocados
- 1 garlic clove minced, for guacamole
- 1 garlic clove minced, for chipotle sauce
- 1 lime juiced (should be roughly 1 tablespoons of juice)
- Salt to taste I start with ¼ teaspoon and add more to taste if need be
- 1 pound medium-size raw shrimp peeled, deveined and tail-on, thawed
- 1 ½ tablespoons chipotle chilis in adobo sauce finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for chipotle sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for cooking shrimp
- Make the tostadas: Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. On the parchment paper, add ¼ cup shredded cheese and spread into a circle that is 3 to 4 inches wide. Continue process until you've completed 4 cheese rounds (be sure to leave enough space between cheese rounds so they don't melt together). Bake for about 10 minutes (more or less), until brownish in color. Remove and let sit for several minutes until cool and crispy.
- Prepare the guacamole: Cut avocados in half, lengthwise. Remove and discard pits. With a spoon, remove avocado flesh and put in a bowl. Mash avocados with a spoon or fork until it turns into a chunky consistency. Stir in the minced garlic and lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
- Cook the shrimp: In a small bowl, add the chopped chipotle peppers, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and minced garlic. Stir to combine. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and prepared chipotle sauce and stir to combine. Cook until shrimp turns opaque, about 4 minutes.
- Finish and serve: After tostadas have cooled, place 2 tostadas on each plate. Equally divide the guacamole onto 4 tostadas. Spread guacamole across top and spoon chipotle shrimp over the top. Add any additional toppings as desired. Serve immediately.