Hot dog season is here and, to help, here is a list of low-carb and keto hot dog toppings along with carb counts! Plus, get our keto chili dog recipe!
With hot dogs, it’s all about the toppings. But, when you're on a low-carb or keto diet, you have to be careful with the toppings as they can drive up the carbs.
Even when you keep the toppings simple, you still have to be careful with the amounts, especially if you're having more than one hot dog or using keto-friendly hot dog buns.
Most hot dogs you buy at the store are generally zero to 1 net carb per hot dog. And keto-friendly hot dog buns can range from 6 net carbs to zero (see our keto hot dog bun review here). And we still recommend lettuce wraps for a true zero carb bun.
To make it easy, here is a list of keto-friendly hot dog toppings along with their net carbs. Cheers to hot dog season!
Keto-Friendly Hot Dog Toppings & Net Carbs:
- Sugar-free ketchup: 1 tablespoon of Heinz No-Sugar Added Ketchup is 1 GRAM NET CARB
- Spicy mustard: 1 teaspoon Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard is 0 GRAMS CARBS.
- Yellow mustard: 1 teaspoon Gulden's Yellow Mustard is 0 GRAMS CARBS.
- Diced red onion: ⅛ cup is 1.9 GRAMS NET CARBS.
- Diced tomato: ¼ cup of diced Roma tomatoes is 2 GRAMS NET CARBS
- Diced dill pickle: 1 Claussen dill spear is .7 GRAMS NET CARBS.
- Chopped bacon: two slices is 2 GRAMS NET CARBS.
- Cubed avocado: ¼ cup is 1.4 GRAMS NET CARBS.
- Pickled jalapeños: 2 tablespoons is 1 GRAM NET CARBS.
- Shredded cheddar cheese: ¼ cup Shredded Sargento is 2 GRAMS NET CARBS.
- Cream cheese: 1 ounce is .5 net carbs.
- Sauerkraut: Bubbies sauerkraut is 0 NET CARBS per ¼ cup.
- Celery salt: ¼ teaspoon is 0.1 GRAMS NET CARBS.
- Salsa: Tostitos Chunky Medium Salsa is less than 2 GRAMS NET CARBS per 2 tablespoons.
- Nacho cheese sauce: 2 tablespoons of Tostitos Salsa Con Queso is 4 TO 5 NET CARBS.
Keto Chili Dog Recipe!
One of our favorite hot dog toppings is keto-friendly chili! Here is a super easy keto chili dog topping that's absolutely delicious!
Chili Dog Topping Recipe:
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- ½ cup Rao's Arrabbiata Sauce
- A few tablespoons water
Directions: Season beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef, while breaking into crumbles, until no longer pink, roughly 7 or 8 minutes. Drain fat and return to heat. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Add arrabbiata sauce and a few tablespoons water, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until thoroughly heated. Stir and add salt and pepper to taste. To serve, top each hot dog with ¼ cup chili sauce.
Need Hot Dog Topping Inspiration?
Need some hot dog topping ideas? Here's the Most Popular Styles of Hot Dogs...
Chicago Hot Dogs: Toppings include mustard, pickle spears, chopped onions, tomato, pickled peppers and celery salt. These style of dogs also include relish, but most store-bought relishes are higher in carbs.
Cincinnati Chili Dogs: Toppings include chili (see keto recipe above), diced onion and shredded cheddar cheese.
New York Hot Dogs: Toppings include mustard, sauerkraut and onions cooked in ketchup.
Coney Dogs: Toppings include chili (see keto recipe above) and sometimes mustard and onion.
Seattle Dogs: Toppings include cream cheese and sautéed onions.
Kansas City Hot Dogs: Toppings include melted Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and mustard.
Mexican-style Hot Dogs: Chopped bacon, diced red onion, pickled jalapenos, diced avocado and grated cheddar cheese.