This 15-minute, one-pan keto green curry salmon and bok choy, adapted from Anna Stockwell at Epicurious, is a weeknight winner. Yes, it's quick, easy, and uses just one pan. But, the combination of flavors in this dish -- thanks to the green curry, coconut milk, salmon, bok choy and cashews -- make it a real winner.
Typically, you have be careful when adapting Thai curries to a low carb or keto diet since coconut milk and curry paste can drive up the carbs. However, you can keep the carbs lower by using a good, quality green curry paste and supplementing the coconut milk with chicken broth. When you use a good quality curry paste (we recommend Mae Ploy), you typically use less paste (unlike Thai Kitchen) since it's more flavorful and spicy. A good curry paste also allows you to simplify the recipe since you don't need to add ginger, garlic or other flavor ingredients.
The bok choy (a great low-carb veggie) is perfect in this dish since it pairs well with the salmon and cooks up fast. If you can't find bok choy at your grocery store, you can replace it with spinach. Or, you could skip the bok choy and simply serve over riced cauliflower or broccoli. There are a lot of options here.
If you want to further reduce the carbs in this dish, you may replace the cashews with peanuts or simply cut out the nuts. Although we really enjoy the cashews in this dish, they do add an additional 2 net carbs per serving.
Each serving is just 6.3 net carbs. We hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do!
Keto Green Curry Salmon and Bok Choy
- 2 8- ounce skinless salmon fillets (we also use steelhead trout)
- 6 ounces Aroy-D Coconut Milk or other full-fat coconut milk (though we strongly recommend Aroy-D)
- 1 tablespoon Mae Ploy Green Curry Paste or other green curry paste (we strongly Mae Ploy)
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces bok choy mostly leaves, some stems as well
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ⅛ cup roasted salted cashews
- Cilantro to garnish optional
- Get started: Rinse and dry several bok choy leaves. Cut leaves into 2-inch pieces and stems into ½-inch slices. Weigh 4 ounces of bok choy (roughly 2 cups). Remove skin from salmon if needed (or desired).
- Heat curry, salmon and bok choy: In a large skillet over medium heat, stir in coconut milk, curry paste, chicken broth and fish sauce. After it begins to simmer, put in salmon fillets and surround with bok choy in an even layer. Cover pan and steam salmon on medium low heat until cooked (or thermometer indicates 145 degrees), about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Finish the dish: Remove pan from heat and drizzle with lime juice. Plate and garnish with cashews and cilantro if desired.
Leave a Comment