Grilled Carne Asada is one of the ultimate grill recipes. It’s because the steak turns out so tender, juicy and flavorful after marinating and just a short time on the grill.
To make, simply marinate the steak for an hour or more, then grill for less than 10 minutes, and dinner is ready. Now, how easy is that?! We recommend using skirt steak, but you may use flank steak as well (they’re two very similar cuts of meat).
The Carne Asada is so delicious that you can eat as is (along with a few sides of course) or include in a simple Tex-Mex salad. We typically serve in low-carb tortillas or lettuce wraps with a few of our favorite toppings -- like diced tomatoes (or salsa), avocado, and red onion. Regardless of how you serve it, we’re sure you’ll enjoy it.
This low-carb and keto Carne Asada recipe is only 3 net carbs per serving.
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- ⅛ cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ⅛ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- Make marinade: In a small bowl, whisk together minced garlic and jalapeno, ancho chile powder, lime juice, soy sauce, and cilantro. Put marinade and steak in large resealable bag or bowl. Be sure steak is completely covered in marinade. Seal bag or cover bowl, and refrigerate for an hour or two.
- Grill: Preheat grill to medium-high heat (roughly 400 or more degrees). Place steak directly over heat and grill for 3 to 5 minutes per side (depending on thickness), until medium rare (130 degrees).
- Slice and serve: Let steak rest for 5 minutes. Slice meat against the grain (perpendicular to lines) to keep meat tender. Serve with low-carb tortillas (or lettuce wraps), diced onion, tomato (or salsa), and avocado. Other toppings could include crumbled cotija cheese, sliced radishes and additional cilantro.
Amount Per Serving Calories 374.8Total Fat 19.4gSaturated Fat 6.6gCholesterol 137.6mgSodium 643.9mgCarbohydrates 4.2gNet Carbohydrates 3.1gFiber 1.1gSugar 0.6gProtein 47.3g