This keto cocktail sauce doesn't skip a beat — it tastes just as delicious as one you'd get at a restaurant or store — but without all the sugar!
You likely wouldn't guess this cocktail sauce is sugar-free and low in carbs — but it is! The flavor is all there and it's got the right amount of heat.
We make this sauce whenever we got crab in the house or are serving shrimp cocktail. We also love serving with raw oysters. It's so addicting!
It's a breeze to make, too! Just combine 5 ingredients and it's ready in 5 minutes. And many of these ingredients may already be in your pantry or fridge!
Just a few notes on the sauce ingredients:
- Sugar-free ketchup: We recommend Heinz "No Sugar Added" ketchup since it tastes the most similar to regular ketchup.
- Horseradish: You'll want to purchase prepared horseradish at the store. Be sure to drain before measuring.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice is another must in cocktail sauce — it brightens the sauce!
- Worcestershire sauce: You got to have Worcestershire in cocktail sauce since it adds a deep flavor and cuts the sweetness of the ketchup. The sauce only adds about 1 net carb per serving.
- Sambal oelek or another preferred hot sauce: We use sambal oelek for a hot sauce in this recipe, but you can use another hot sauce, such as Frank's hot sauce. Sambal is a spicy chili sauce that originates from Indonesia. It's somewhat similar to Sriracha or other Asian chili sauces/pastes, but it has no added sugar. It's our favorite hot sauce!
How to Make
It's so easy to make cocktail sauce! Just a few simple steps and you're done!
Step 1: In small bowl combine sugar-free ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and sambal oelek.
Step 2: Stir well. Chill and serve.
Most regular cocktail sauces range between 15 to 20 grams of net carbs per ¼ cup. And most of those carbs come from sugar. It's because cocktail sauce is made with ketchup, which is high in sugar. To make this cocktail sauce sugar-free and low in carbs, we use a no-sugar added ketchup. Our cocktail sauce is just 6 net carbs per ¼ cup.
Absolutely! A pound of shrimp is less than 1 gram in carbs. Plus, it's high in protein and low in calories. It's contains a number of vitamins and minerals and is good source of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids.
A tablespoon so horseradish is a little less than 2 grams of net carbs. And considering you don't use much of it at one time, you can use it in recipes while on a low-carb or keto diet.
Store your homemade cocktail sauce in a closed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag @lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
The Best Keto Cocktail Sauce
- Prepare In small bowl combine sugar-free ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and sambal oelek.
- Serve: Stir well. Chill and serve.