This broccoli salad has got to be one of the best cold broccoli salads out there! It's made with crunchy broccoli, slivered almonds, sliced red onions, grated cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, and a sweet and tangy dressing.
We had never tried this classic salad (which you can typically find at delis) until my mom recently convinced us to make it. It's a shame we haven't had it until now since it's so delicious! But, this low-carb and keto broccoli salad will be in regular rotation at our house this summer!
This keto broccoli salad is simple to make, too. The most time-consuming part is making the bacon. If you're looking to save time, you can cook the bacon in the microwave if you like. The rest of the salad simply involves chopping the the broccoli and onions, making the dressing (just three ingredients!), and adding slivered almonds and grated cheddar cheese.
This salad is a perfect salad for backyard barbeques, picnics, or even as a pre-made lunch salad during the work week. Each serving is just 3 net carbs.
As always, our recipes are all 8 ingredients or less! The ingredients in this salad include:
- Broccoli: our recipe uses a generous amount of broccoli: roughly one cup of chopped broccoli per serving. We chop the broccoli into bite-size florets to make it easy to scoop up and digest.
- Bacon: we use 1.5 ounces of chopped bacon (roughly 3 slices) in this recipe. We typically fry the bacon, but you can also cook it in the microwave or oven if you prefer. Or, you can leave it out all together.
- Sliced red onion: we use just a little sliced red onion, about ⅛ cup, for a little pop in flavor.
- Grated cheddar cheese: this recipe calls for ¼ cup of grated cheddar cheese, which we recommend grating in the largest-size hole of the grater. If need be, you could use store-bought grated cheese but it's not quite the same (and it adds a little more carbs). You could consider other cheeses too -- such as feta, Monterrey jack, mozzarella, etc.
- Slivered, toasted almonds: we tried different nuts in this salad and our favorite is toasted, slivered almonds. We use a ¼ cup, so you get a lot of crunch with most bites.
- Mayonnaise: this salad is typically made with a mayonnaise dressing for creaminess.
- Swerve sweetener: the mayonnaise dressing is made a little sweet with Swerve sweetener.
- Apple cider vinegar: apple cider is added to the dressing, which makes it nice and tangy.
How to Make
Here are the steps to making this simple salad:
- First you'll fry, bake or microwave about 1.5 ounces of bacon, roughly 3 slices of bacon, until crispy. After the bacon has cooled, then you'll chop it into smaller chunks.
- Next, you'll make the salad dressing. In a small bowl, you'll combine the mayonnaise, Swerve sweetener and apple cider vinegar. You'll stir until it's well combined.
- Then, the chopping begins! Chop the broccoli into bite-size florets, chop the red onion into small pieces or thin slices.
- After, you'll grate the cheddar cheese in the largest-size hole of the grater. Or, you may use store-bought grated cheddar cheese. You'll grate ¼ cup of cheese.
- Then, it's time to mix everything together -- the broccoli, onions, cheese, slivered almonds, and dressing. Stir until well combined. At that point, you may refrigerate for an hour or so before serving (so it's chilled as it should be), or you can serve immediately.
Other Low-Carb and Keto Salads
Here are other low-carb and keto salads you may enjoy:
- Simple Roasted Asparagus Salad: This simple roasted asparagus salad, made with with roasted asparagus, grape tomatoes, red onions, vinaigrette and freshly grated parmesan, is such a tasty low-carb and keto side dish and perfect for celebrating spring or summer!
- Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing: Sweet, ripe strawberries take center stage in this salad, but the creamy, sweet yet tangy poppy seed dressing is absolutely delicious!
- Thai Cucumber Salad: Thai cucumber salad, known as ajad, is a quick-pickled cucumber relish that is deliciously spicy, tangy, sweet, and refreshingly crunchy. Our low-carb and keto Thai cucumber salad is similar to an authentic ajad — but with a few minor adjustments to make it low in carbs.
- ⅓ cup cooked bacon (1.5 ounces), chopped into small chunks
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon Swerve Sweetener
- 4 cups broccoli (8 ounces), cut into bite-size florets
- ⅛ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup (.9 ounces) cheddar cheese, grated in largest-size hole of grater
- ¼ cup slivered, toasted almonds
- Cook bacon: Fry, bake or microwave about 1.5 ounces of bacon, roughly 3 slices of bacon, until crispy. After the bacon has cooled, then you'll chop it into small chunks.
- Make dressing: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Swerve sweetener and apple cider vinegar. Stir until well combined.
- Combine and finish: After chopping vegetables and grating cheese, combine all the ingredients in a large serving bowl. Mix until well combined. We recommend refrigerating for an hour before serving (since it's typically served chilled). Or, if you prefer, you may serve immediately. Store in fridge following.
Store in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days.
Amount Per Serving Calories 344.4Total Fat 30.1gSaturated Fat 5.0gCholesterol 33.9mgSodium 489.1mgCarbohydrates 10.3gNet Carbohydrates 3.6gFiber 2.2gSugar 1.3gSugar Alcohols 4.5gProtein 9.0g