We love this keto lemon strawberry cake recipe since it's moist, light and airy, and a perfect spring or summer dessert.
We love this moist and fluffy keto lemon strawberry cake, which is adapted from Alyssa Rimmer at King Arthur Flour (Strawberry Almond Flour Cake). This lemon strawberry doesn't include any butter and uses whipped egg whites to create a light and airy cake.
In our adapted recipe, we simply replaced the sugar with Swerve and to offset the aftertaste from the sugar alternative, we slightly increased the amount of vanilla extract and added lemon zest and juice. Lasty, to enhance the cake's moisture, we baked the strawberry slices into the cake.
When you top the cake with sugar-free whipped cream, it tastes heavenly. It's a great cake to enjoy at anytime of the day -- at breakfast, as a snack, or dessert.
Although this strawberry lemon cake includes several steps, it's still only 8 ingredients and bakes up fairly quickly. Even better, each slice is only 4 net carbs.
Strawberry Lemon Cake
- 1 ¼ cups (120 grams) super-fine blanched almond flour, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting cake pan
- 2 tablespoons super-fine blanched almond flour for dusting cake pan
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs separated, at room temperature
- ½ cup Swerve Granular
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 to 12 (9 ounces) small to medium organic strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- Get started: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan (with butter or coconut oil) on all sides. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper (we simply use a 9-inch parchment round) and lightly grease parchment paper. Dust pan with a few tablespoons of almond flour.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder and salt. In a medium mixing bowl, mix egg yolks, SCANT ¼ cup of Swerve, vanilla and lemon zest and juice until well combined. Pour wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients and mix until a thick dough forms. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high until soft peaks form. Slowly add a SCANT ¼ cup of Swerve to egg whites and beat until combined. Gently fold egg whites into cake mixture, ½ cup at a time, until whites are fully incorporated.
- Bake: Pour batter into pan and smooth top with a spatula. Gently arrange strawberries on top of batter. Strawberries should slightly sink but still be exposed on top. Bake cake for 20 to 30 minutes (start keeping a careful watch after 20 minutes) or until golden brown and a toothpick (or other tester) comes out clean.
- Finish and serve: Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Run a small spatula or knife around edge of pan to loosen cake. Remove cake from pan and place on wire rack to finish cooling. Slice and serve with sugar-free whipped cream.
How many servings does this recipe make? Thank you.
Thanks for letting us know! The nutrition is calculated for 8 servings and we've updated the recipe card to indicate that.