We love this moist and fluffy strawberry lemon cake recipe, slightly adapted from Alyssa Rimmer at King Arthur Flour (Strawberry Almond Flour Cake). This wonderful, low-carb and keto strawberry lemon cake has no butter and uses whipped egg whites to create a nice airiness to the cake.
In our adapted recipe, we replaced the sugar with Swerve. To offset the aftertaste from the sugar alternative, we slightly increased the amount of vanilla extract and added lemon zest and juice. And, to enhance the cake's moisture, we baked the strawberry slices into the cake.
When you top the cake with sugar-free whipped cream, it tastes heavenly. It's a great cake to enjoy at anytime of the day -- at breakfast, as a snack, or dessert.
Although this strawberry lemon cake includes several steps, it's still only 8 ingredients and bakes up fairly quickly. Even better, each slice is only 4 net carbs.
- 1 ¼ cups (120 grams) almond flour, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting cake pan
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- Scant ¼ cup Swerve Granular, plus another scant ¼ cup
- 2 tablespoons of lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 10-12 small to medium organic strawberries (weighing 9 ounces), stemmed and quartered
- Get started: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Thoroughly grease a 9”cake pan (with butter or coconut oil) on all sides. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper (I simply use a 9” parchment round) and grease parchment paper with more butter or oil. Lightly dust the pan with a few tablespoons of almond flour. Wash and cut strawberries as indicated.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder and salt. In a medium mixing bowl, mix egg yolks, SCANT ¼ cup of Swerve, vanilla and lemon zest and juice until well combined. Pour wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients and mix until a thick dough forms. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high until soft peaks form. Slowly add a SCANT ¼ cup of Swerve to egg whites and beat until combined. Gently fold egg whites, ½ cup at a time, into dough mixture until whites are fully incorporated.
- Bake: Pour batter into pan and smooth top with a spatula. Gently arrange strawberries on top of batter. Strawberries should slightly sink but still be exposed on top. Bake cake for 20 to 30 minutes (start keeping a careful watch after 20 minutes) or until golden brown and a toothpick (or other tester) comes out clean.
- Finish and serve: Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Run a small spatula or knife around edge of pan to loosen cake. Remove cake from pan and place on wire rack to finish cooling. Slice and serve with sugar-free whipped cream.
Since each oven is different be sure to not over bake cake or else it will dry out and edges will burn.
Amount Per Serving Calories 158.5Total Fat 12.2gSaturated Fat 0.8gCholesterol 103.5mgSodium 173.6mgCarbohydrates 19.3gNet Carbohydrates 3.9gFiber 3.5gSugar 3.0gSugar Alcohols 12.0gProtein 7.5g