This keto tomato sausage soup is deliciously creamy, a little spicy, and full of smoked, andouille sausage, mushrooms and bell pepper. It's a perfect fall and winter soup!
Here’s a creamy, tomato-based keto soup that's hearty, comforting and has the right amount of spice to warm you up on a chilly day. It bursts with flavor, too — thanks to the spicy arrabbiata sauce, andouille sausage, mushrooms, bell pepper, heavy cream and parmesan.
But don’t think this is simply a winter or fall soup. We love eating this soup year-round since it’s so addicting. It's our favorite low-carb soup!
This creamy keto tomato sausage soup takes less than 30 minutes to make and is 7 net carbs per serving. The recipe serves three, but it’s simple to double for lunch leftovers.
Just 8 ingredients in this simple keto soup. Here are notes on key ingredients.
- Andouille Sausage: We always buy Aidells since it uses simple, quality ingredients in it's smoked sausages. Aidells is a little more expensive than other smoked sausages, but you get what you pay for and their sausages are delicious! In this recipe, we use Aidells Cajun Style Andouille Sausage since it's a little spicy and low in carbs (1 net carb per link). You can use another flavor of smoked sausage if you prefer, such as Italian.
- Rao's Arrabbiata Sauce: We use Rao's pasta sauce (the BEST low-carb sauce out there!) as a shortcut ingredient in this soup, which makes it full of flavor. We use Arrabbiata Sauce since it's spicier than marinara and adds a little heat. Don't worry, it doesn't make it too spicy — just enough to give it depth of flavor. You may use another low-carb arrabbiata or marinara sauce if you prefer. Just be sure to check the net carbs as different brands and flavors may have more carbs.
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream is a must for deliciously creamy soup!
- Chicken broth: Chicken broth helps thin the soup (without adding any carbs!) and enhances the flavor. If you prefer, you could also use vegetable broth.
- Bell pepper: You can use red or green bell peppers in this recipe.
- Mushrooms: We use white, pre-sliced mushrooms to make it easy. You may use cremini or another type of mushroom if you prefer.
How to Make
These creamy keto tomato and sausage soup is so easy to make and it takes less than 30 minutes. Simply follow these steps.
STEP 1: Slice sausages and veggies as indicated (see picture of sliced veggies above in "Ingredients"). In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced sausages and cook until they begin to brown, roughly 4 minutes.
STEP 2: Reduce heat to medium and add sliced bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook until tender and mushrooms begin to brown, about 6 or 7 minutes.
STEP 3: Add broth and arrabbiata sauce and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat and simmer for a minute or two.
STEP 4: Stir in the parmesan until it melts.
STEP 5: Add cream and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
STEP 6: Heat for a minute or two longer. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
How to Store
You can store this soup in a closed container in the fridge for up to three or four days. In fact, it may taste even better on the second day!
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag @lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Keto Tomato Sausage Soup With Mushrooms and Bell Pepper
- 1 tablespoon California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Aidells Cajun Style Andouille Sausage, sliced into bite-size chunks
- 6 ounces of pre-sliced white mushrooms
- 1 red or green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed and cut into 2-inch long strips
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup Rao's Arrabbiata Sauce
- ½ scant cup parmesan, grated
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Get started: Remove ribs and seeds from bell pepper and slice into 2-inch long strips. Slice sausages into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Cook sausage and vegetables: In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced sausages and cook until they begin to brown, roughly 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add sliced bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook until tender and mushrooms begin to brown, about 6 or 7 minutes.
- Finish soup and serve: Add broth and arrabbiata sauce and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat and simmer for a minute or two. Stir in the parmesan until it melts. Add cream and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Heat for a minute or two more. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Leave a Comment