This blackberry vinaigrette is a perfect way to enjoy ripe blackberries since it's fresh, fruity, sweet, tangy and delicious on summer salads.
With all the ripe blackberries around our house at the moment, this blackberry vinaigrette is a welcome addition to our growing list of summer salad recipes. It's a tasty and refreshing way to use blackberries since it's fresh and fruity, sweet and tangy, and delicious on summer salads.
Plus, it's so easy make. Simply pulse together fresh blackberries, extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper in a food processor or blender until smooth. It takes just a few minutes and you're done.
We love pairing the vinaigrette with a simple salad made with mixed greens, toasted slivered almonds, crumbled goat cheese and blackberries. But, there are so many more options to consider — you can a combination of lettuces, your favorite nuts or seeds, or other berries and cheeses.
With summer coming to a close, we recommend enjoying it while you can!
Organic, ripe blackberries: If you're buying blackberries from the store, we recommend getting organic even though blackberries aren't one the "dirty dozen" (fruits and veggies with high pesticide residue) since they're delicate and their structure can capture pesticides.
Extra-virgin olive oil: Of course, you'll want to use a quality extra-virgin olive oil for this or any vinaigrette.
Red wine vinegar: We typically use red wine vinegar in our vinaigrettes, but you could also replace with fresh lemon juice.
Dijon mustard: We prefer to use Dijon mustard in this vinaigrette. but you could also use a whole grain mustard.
Salt and pepper: We start with a pinch or two and add more to taste as needed.
How to Make
STEP 1: In a food processor or blender, pulse blackberries, extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and well combined. Taste and add more salt, pepper or even blackberries as desired.
STEP 2: Refrigerate in a covered container in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (for flavors to meld). Stir or shake well before drizzling on top of salad.
Salad Building Options
There are so many ways to build a salad that would compliment this blackberry vinaigrette. Here are few considerations:
- Lettuces: mixed greens, spinach, butter lettuce, arugula
- Nuts or seeds: slivered almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds
- Cheese: crumbled goat cheese, feta, mild blue cheese, gorgonzola
- Fruits: blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, avocado
- Other: chopped red onion, bacon, cucumber
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag @lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Simple Blackberry Vinaigrette
- ½ cup organic blackberries
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 pinches salt and pepper
- Combine ingredients: In a food processor or blender, pulse blackberries, extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and combined. Taste and add more salt, pepper or even blackberries as desired.
- Refrigerate: Refrigerate in a covered container in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (for flavors to meld). Stir or shake well before drizzling on top of salad.