This healthy Mexican tuna salad is a new family favorite! It's bright and fresh, full of flavor and texture, healthy and high in protein. Plus, it's easy to make!
This Mexican tuna salad is our new favorite tuna salad that we're eating on repeat! It's bright and fresh, full of flavor and texture, healthy and high in protein.
Chunky salsa is a key ingredient that enhances the flavor complexity of this salad (think bright, savory, spicy, and sweet) and keeps the ingredients simple. We use our favorite clean-ingredient, sugar-free salsa: Tostitos Medium Chunky Salsa. But, obviously, you can use whatever salsa you prefer.
Other ingredients ingredients low-mercury tuna (we use either SafeCatch Tuna or Wild Planet Tuna), chopped bell pepper, avocado, jalapeno, and lime juice. We also love to top with a little fresh cilantro, but that is entirely optional. However, you can change up the ingredients however you like.
This Mexican tuna salad is quick and easy to make and perfect for a simple lunch a dinner. It involves no cooking, just a little chopping, and you likely have several of the ingredients in your pantry. Also, it's a great make-ahead meal since it stores well in the fridge.
Just a few notes on ingredients:
- Canned Tuna: We recommend getting canned tuna that is low in mercury. Two good brands are SafeCatch and Wild Planet. You can use albacore or another tuna of choice.
- Chunky salsa: Be sure to get a sugar-free salsa with clean ingredients. We use Tostitos Medium Salsa, which uses simple ingredients, doesn't include sugar and is just 1 net carb per 2 tablespoons.
- Avocado: Avocado adds more flavor, texture and healthy fats to the salad. You'll want to buy a slightly firmer avocado so it doesn't turn mushy.
- Red bell pepper: We love the crunchy, sweet flavor that bell pepper adds to the salad! Just a third of a bell pepper, chopped into small chunks.
- Jalapeno: We chop pickled jalapenos (which we always have on hand), but you can also use a fresh jalapeno. We use two tablespoons for more heat, but if you prefer less heat, then start with one tablespoon.
- Lime juice: We add just a little more acidity from fresh lime juice for brightness. We add just a tablespoon, but you can add more to taste.
- Salt and pepper: It's important to season with salt and pepper to taste!
- Cilantro: We love topping the salad with fresh, chopped cilantro, which is optional.
How to Make
STEP 1: Chop ingredients as indicated. Combine ingredients in a medium-size bowl.
STEP 2: Gently stir together ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve alone, in a lettuce or tortilla wrap, on top of a salad, or with low-carb tortilla chips. Store in a closed container in the fridge for up to two to three days.
How to Serve
This Mexican tuna salad can be served in a variety ways.
We love eating alone or in a lettuce wrap (we recommend butter or romaine lettuce leaves). It also goes well in low-carb tortillas or on top of a simple green salad. It also serves a great high-protein dip for low-carb tortilla chips!
Yes, store leftover tuna salad in an airtight container in the fridge for two to three days. The salad is best when eaten within the first few days after making.
Yes, you can purchase salsa that is low-carb and keto-friendly. We recommend that you buy a salsa that's two net carbs or less per two tablespoons. Be sure to check the ingredients to make sure it's made with simple ingredients and that no sugar is added. We use Tostito's Medium Chunky Salsa which is only one net carb per two tablespoons.
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag @lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Mexican Style Tuna Salad
- ½ avocado, diced (about ½ cup)
- ⅓ cup red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, diced
- 5 ounces SafeCatch Tuna
- ¼ cup Tostitos Medium Chunky Salsa or similar salsa
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno, diced (or fresh jalapeno)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare ingredients: Chop ingredients as indicated. Combine ingredients in a medium-size bowl.
- Finish and serve: Gently stir together ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve alone, in a lettuce or tortilla wrap, on top of a salad, or with low-carb tortilla chips. Store in a closed container in the fridge for up to two to three days.
Leave a Comment