With fresh, ripe tomatoes and cucumbers, this Mediterranean cucumber tomato salad might be one of the best simple side salads!
This Mediterranean cucumber tomato salad shines its brightest with fresh, garden-ripe tomatoes and cucumbers. Other ingredients include chopped red onion and a dressing made of extra-virgin olive oil, freshly-squeezed lemon juice, and salt and pepper. This light and refreshing salad is simplicity at its best.
I first fell in love with this cucumber tomato salad when I traveled throughout Morocco some time ago. It was served at almost every meal. And after returning back home, it was one of the first dishes I wanted to make.
Of course, there are many versions of this salad, which are served throughout the Mediterranean and elsewhere throughout the world. You can even make this salad your own by adding minced garlic, crumbled feta, olives, diced avocado, chopped peppers or whatever you like.
For best results, it's important to use the fresh, high-quality ingredients like ripe tomatoes and cucumber and high-quality extra-virgin olive oil.
This low-carb and keto-friendly salad that pairs well with almost any main dish. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
A few notes on key ingredients:
- Fresh, ripe tomatoes: The best cucumber tomato salad is made with fresh, in-season tomatoes. You can use whatever tomatoes are freshest, such vine, Roma, grape or cherry.
- English cucumber: :We prefer to use English cucumber, but you can use fresh garden cucumber too.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: Quality, extra-virgin oil is another must since you'll taste it.
- Fresh lemon juice: Fresh lemon juice adds just a little acidity to the olive oil dressing.
- Red onion: We love adding a little chopped onion to our salad, but you don't have to.
- Fresh parsley: We use fresh parsley, but you can use other fresh herbs such as basil, chive, cilantro, or mint.
- Salt and pepper: Be sure to add salt and pepper to taste!
We like to keep this salad simple, but that doesn't mean you have to. You can add minced garlic to the dressing or replace the lemon juice with red wine vinegar.
To the salad, you can add chopped avocado, crumbled feta, olives, chopped bell pepper or jalapeno peppers. You can also top with any fresh herbs you like, such as basil, cilantro, chives, oregano or mint. There are so many combinations to explore and try.
How to Make
STEP 1: Chop tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and fresh parsley. Drain tomatoes as needed.
STEP 2: In a small bowl, combine extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to season.
STEP 3: In a large serving bowl, combine all the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped parsley as desired. Store in fridge until serving.
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag @lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Mediterranean Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes, chopped in smaller chunks (vine, roma, or grape)
- 1 English cucumber, chopped in smaller chunks (about 11 ounces)
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to season
- ⅛ cup chopped parsley
- Chop: Chop tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and parsley. Drain tomatoes as needed.
- Make dressing: In a small bowl, combine extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to season.
- Finish and serve: In a large serving bowl, combine all the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped parsley as desired. Store in fridge until serving.
Leave a Comment