In this quick Mediterranean breakfast bowl, two hard-boiled eggs are combined with chopped cucumbers and tomatoes, crumbled feta, a little olive oil, minced garlic, and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
You may be thinking this is more of a salad than a breakfast bowl, which is fair. But, if you've ever enjoyed a Turkish breakfast (known as kahvalti), then you'll understand the inspiration behind this yummy breakfast bowl. We love all the flavors and textures in this low-carb and keto breakfast bowl (think salty feta, sweet tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers) -- but, just as important, it's such a nutritious and refreshing way to start the day.
Now, this quick and simple breakfast bowl in no way compares to the elaborate nature of a Turkish breakfast, which is a collection of different dishes like cheeses, chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, olives, hard-boiled eggs, bread and jams, and, of course, lots of Turkish tea. But, it does include several key components like tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, and hard-boiled eggs. And, if you like, you could even add some olives, which would be a tasty addition.
This simple breakfast bowl takes about five minutes to make if you already have hard-boiled eggs on hand. That's because you're chopping a rather small amount of tomatoes and cucumbers. After you've chopped those, then it's just a matter of combing everything in a bowl with a small amount of olive, oil, lemon juice and one minced garlic clove.
In terms of preparing hard-boiled eggs, there are a few options. You can buy hard-boiled at eggs at the store or you can boil the eggs until just right (click here for step-by-step instructions). We love using our Dash Rapid Egg Cooker to make hard-boiled eggs. It's so quick and easy to use, and you can forget about the eggs as soon as you put them in to cook. After the alarm goes off on the cooker, the eggs are done and perfectly cooked.
I like to enjoy this Mediterranean breakfast bowl with some tea to feel transported back in time when I traveled through Turkey. I sure do hope to get back there again some day. In the meantime, I'll be enjoying this. Hope you enjoy it too.
- ⅓ cup cucumber, diced (52 grams)
- ¼ cup grape tomatoes, diced (approximately 39 grams or 4 to 5 grape tomatoes)
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 2 hard boiled eggs — we use the Dash Rapid Egg Cooker to make these quickly and easily
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, combine the minced garlic with lemon juice. Let sit for 5 minutes (to remove bite from garlic). Then, whisk in olive oil. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare bowl: Either purchase or make hard-boiled eggs (see instructions for making). Chop eggs into smaller, bite-size chunks. In a bowl, combine eggs, diced cucumber and tomato. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Finish and serve: Gently combine bowl ingredients with prepared dressing. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 364.2Total Fat 29.7gSaturated Fat 9.3gCholesterol 397.0mgSodium 461.8mgCarbohydrates 5.5gNet Carbohydrates 4.8gFiber 0.7gSugar 3.2gProtein 17.1g