With this keto salted caramel affogato, you'll have a hard time stopping yourself from eating seconds. Plus, it's so quick and easy to make!
With this keto salted caramel affogato, you'll have a hard time stopping yourself from eating seconds. Yes, it's that delicious — especially if you love coffee and ice cream. My husband doesn't really care for coffee (I know, hard to believe, right?!), but he has no problem gobbling up this dessert and even asks me to share a second serving with him! Hmm...
This dessert works well for a number of reasons. First, we use one of the best-tasting keto ice creams out there. In our opinion, the salted caramel ice cream by Rebel Creamery tastes spot on, and you likely wouldn't even guess it's low carb or keto. And when you drown the ice cream with a shot of hot espresso and then top with sugar-free whipped cream, crushed sugar-free dark chocolate and salted macadamia nuts — it is heavenly! Plus, it gives you a nice little caffeine kick to keep you going (or you can use decaf if you prefer).
We love how quick and easy this salted caramel affogato is to make. It's just five ingredients and takes about five minutes to make. The hardest part is making the coffee — and you can prepare it with either an espresso shot or three tablespoons of strong coffee (regular or decaf). Whatever works best for you! Each serving is just 2.8 net carbs.
What is an Affogato?
An affogato is a coffee and ice cream dessert that is popular throughout Italy. Affogato means "drowned" in Italian, and in this dessert, the ice cream is drowned with a shot of hot espresso.
This yummy salted caramel affogato uses only 5 ingredients!
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream by Rebel Creamery: Rebel Creamery makes the best keto salted caramel ice cream out there. We tried other brands and other flavors, and this one is by far our favorite. If you don't like salted caramel, you could use keto vanilla ice cream instead, which is common in traditional affogatos. Most affogatos use two scoops of ice cream, which is what we use in this recipe and equates to roughly one serving of keto salted caramel ice cream.
- Shot of espresso: A traditional affogato calls for one shot of espresso (roughly one ounce or two tablespoons). Or, you could replace the espresso with strong brewed coffee, which tastes just as good. If using strong coffee, we recommend using 3 tablespoons. You can use decaf coffee if preferred.
- Whipped cream: We top the ice cream with a good squirt of sugar-free whipped cream (about 2 tablespoons). Whipped cream is not necessary for the affogato, but it sure enhances the sweet yummy flavor!
- Crushed dark chocolate: We use just a half tablespoon of sugar-free dark chocolate chips (Lily's is our favorite brand), which we crush along with the salted macadamia nuts. You can also use sugar-free semi-sweet chips or whatever sugar-free chips you have on hand.
- Crushed macadamia nuts (salted): We love using crushed macadamia nuts to add some crunch and nutty saltiness to the affogato. You can use whatever nut you prefer though -- such as hazelnuts of almonds. Or, you can skip the nuts all together. It's up to you!
You don't have to stop there with the toppings — you can add even more if you like. Additional considerations include sugar-free caramel sauce, sea salt flakes, or a shot of liqueur.
How to Make the Affogato
This keto affogato is so simple to make! It involves just a few easy steps and takes about five minutes or less to make.
- Remove keto salted caramel ice cream from freezer and let it soften for several minutes
- Prepare one shot of espresso or brew a small amount of strong coffee. You may use decaf if you prefer.
- In small plastic bag, place a half tablespoon of sugar-free dark chocolate chips along with two salted macadamia nuts. Use a rolling pin or glass to crush the chips and nuts into small bits.
- Place two scoops of keto salted caramel ice cream in a small mug or glass.
- Pour the espresso shot (one ounce or two tablespoons) or brewed coffee (3 tablespoons) over the ice cream.
- Squirt about two tablespoons of sugar-free whipped cream over the top.
- Sprinkle the crushed chocolate and nuts over the top of the whipped cream.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Other Low-Carb and Keto Dessert Recipes
Here are some other easy low-carb and keto desserts you may enjoy:
- The Best Keto Chai Mug Cake: This keto chai mug cake is moist, light and airy, and bursts with chai flavor. Even if you’re not a chai fan, we think you’ll love it. This chai keto mug cake is only 8 ingredients and 3.9 net carbs. Best of all, it only takes a few minutes to make.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bars: These low-carb and keto strawberry cheesecake bars are the best of two worlds — the no-bake cheesecake top is wonderfully smooth and creamy with fresh strawberry slices, while the bottom is a crunchy, baked pecan crust that is almost as delicious as the cheesecake itself. Even better, these dreamy strawberry cheesecake bars are quick and simple to make (just 20 minutes!) and are only 2 net carbs per serving!
- 3-Ingredient Chocolate Mousse: This luscious 3-ingredient, chocolate mousse is a chocolate lovers delight! We love this low-carb and keto chocolate mousse recipe since the mousse turns out light and airy and isn’t overly sweet. In fact, it’s hard to believe this chocolate mousse is low-carb and keto. When you top it with raspberries and sugar-free whipped cream, it’s so yummy!
Keto Salted Carmel Affogato
- 2 to 3 scoops (roughly 91 grams) keto Salted Caramel Ice Cream by Rebel Creamery
- 1 shot espresso, roughly 2 ounces/2 tablespoons, OR 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee (regular or decaf)
- ½ tablespoon Lily's sugar-free dark chocolate chips
- 2 macadamia nuts salted
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free whipped cream
- Prepare the ingredients: Remove ice cream from freezer and let it soften for several minutes. Prepare one shot of espresso or brew a small amount of strong coffee (decaf or regular). In a small plastic bag, place a half tablespoon of sugar-free dark chocolate chips along with two salted macadamia nuts. Use a rolling pin or glass to crush the chips and nuts into small bits.
- Make the affogato: Place two scoops of the ice cream in a small mug or glass. Pour the espresso shot or brewed coffee over the ice cream. Squirt about two tablespoons of sugar-free whipped cream over the top and then sprinkle with crushed chocolate and nuts. Serve immediately and enjoy!
A girl after my own heart as I also love Rebel Salted Caramel (and all of their other flavors too)
Haha, yeah, I'm a sucker for their salted caramel! But, you're right, they're all pretty darn good!!