Hot dogs sure have made a comeback (well, at least since I was younger). If you’re not on the hot dog bandwagon yet, then maybe these keto Mexican hot dogs (recipe adapted from Kiera Wright Ruiz at New York Times Cooking) will get you on board.
Did you know that you can buy organic, uncured, 100% grass-fed hot dogs? And when you top these dogs with a bunch a veggies, they’re kind of healthy, right? You can find healthier hot dogs almost everywhere now. Here is a list of some of the healthiest and least healthy hot dogs at the store.
With hot dogs, it’s all about the toppings. But, when you're on a low-carb or keto diet, you have to be careful with the toppings as they can drive up the carbs. We kept the toppings on these dogs simple – just to keep the carbs low. Even when you keep the toppings simple, you still have to be careful with the amounts, especially if you're having two hot dogs like us 😀.
The toppings on these keto Mexican hot dogs are: chopped bacon, diced avocado, jalapeños, and red onion (or you could sub with diced tomatoes), grated cheddar cheese, and condiment(s) of your choice (sugar-free ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise). Instead of buns, we use and prefer romaine lettuce leaves.
Obviously, you can choose other toppings than the ones we listed. Just be sure to watch the carbs as they do add up quickly. Other toppings could include:
- Salsa or pico de gallo (to replace tomatoes or onions)
- Sour cream
- Sliced bell peppers
- Cotija cheese
To make these hot dogs super simple, we prepare them the quick and easy way – we microwave them. But, if you want to get all fancy, you can boil, roast or grill them.
Two hot dogs with all the toppings are 6.8 net carbs. Or you could just eat one (then just 3.4 net carbs) and serve with some simple sides like a salad, pork rinds, fresh-cut veggies and dip.
Either way, these hot dogs are perfect for a quick and easy dinner that's delicious.
Keto Mexican-ish Hot Dogs (10 Minutes!)
- 4 all-beef hot dogs
- 4 medium-size romaine leaves rinsed and dried
- 4 slices no-sugar bacon
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños diced
- ½ avocado diced (about 100g)
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- Get started: Prepare romaine lettuce leaves and dice avocado, red onion and jalapeños. Grate cheddar cheese (if not using store-bought shredded cheese).
- Prepare the bacon: Put uncooked bacon between several paper towel sheets and place on a microwavable plate. Microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes or until crispy. Chop bacon into smaller, bite-size pieces.
- Cook the hot dogs: Place hot dog(s) on a microwavable plate and cover with a paper towel. Leave space between each so they cook evenly. If only cooking one hot dog, cook on high for 40 to 50 seconds. For each additional dog, add 20 seconds. If hot dogs still not done after this, then cook for an additional 15 seconds until done.
- Finish and serve: Place hot dog(s) in romaine lettuce leaf (or leaves) and add toppings. Add desired condiments.