This grill chipotle lime shrimp salad is a simple and delicious grill recipe that's healthy, full of flavor, and quick and easy to make!
In this flavorful summer salad, the grilled shrimp are spicy, smoky, tangy and a little sweet since they're covered with minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and squeezed with fresh lime juice. The salad is kept simple and fresh with chopped romaine lettuce, sliced avocados, and a vinaigrette made of extra-virgin olive oil, lime juice and salt and pepper.
If you haven't noticed, we use chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in A LOT of our recipes. It's an ideal flavor bomb when you're using few ingredients because of it's bold flavors, which are spicy, smoky, sweet and tangy. And a little goes a long way. So if you're prefer less spicy, use a little less. It works well in so many dishes — we love adding to our meat recipes and it goes well with seafood too!
You can change up this salad however you like. You can add crumbled cotija cheese, chopped cherry tomatoes or even use a different salad dressing. It's fun to play around with it!
What are Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce?
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are jalapeños that are dried and smoked and typically canned in a sauce made with puréed tomatoes, garlic, vinegar and other spices. It's used in Mexican and Latin dishes (among others) and can be used in marinades and sauces or to flavor dips and soups. There are so many uses of it!
How to Make
In this recipe, we use one pound of medium-size raw shrimp, which are peeled and deveined with the tail-on. However, you could also use shell-on shrimp if you like.
STEP 1: To get started, you’ll first soak four to five bamboo skewers in a pan of water for about 20 minutes. We find that it's easiest to grill shrimp on skewers, but you can use another method if you prefer.
STEP 2: If you're using frozen shrimp, thaw the shrimp according to the bag instructions. Then, you'll prepare the marinade. In a large bowl, you'll combine two tablespoons of minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce along with a teaspoon of sauce and four minced garlic cloves. Then, you'll add the shrimp and combine until the shrimp is fully coated. You'll let it sit until the skewers are done soaking.
STEP 3: Pre-heat the grill to medium-high heat. Next, prepare the chopped romaine lettuce, sliced avocado (lightly salt and squeeze with a little lime juice) and vinaigrette. Place the chopped romaine lettuce and avocados in serving bowls.
STEP 4: After the skewers are done soaking, thread the shrimp on the skewers, leaving a little space between each and on the ends.
STEP 5: Then, it's onto the grill! Place the shrimp skewers directly over the heat, close the grill lid, and grill for one to two minutes per side until shrimp is opaque and cooked through.
STEP 6: Then, remove the shrimp skewers and squeeze fresh lime juice over the top. Place the shrimp in the salads and top the salad with vinaigrette. And that's it!
Additional Salad Toppings
As mentioned, there are many other toppings you could add to this simple salad, including:
- Crumbled cotija cheese
- Chopped cherry tomatoes
- Sliced red onions
- Pico de gallo
- Sliced bell peppers
- Chopped cilantro
If you try this recipe, we would love to hear your feedback! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag @lowcarbsimplified on your photo of this recipe on Instagram or Facebook. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Grilled Chipotle Lime Shrimp Salad
- 1 pound medium-size raw shrimp peeled, deveined and tail-on, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 1 teaspoon sauce from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 16 ounces romaine lettuce chopped (4 ounces per salad)
- 1 Hass avocado sliced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice for squeezing over avocado
- 1 teaspoon lime juice for vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons lime juice for squeezing over grilled shrimp
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season vinaigrette and for seasoning avocado slices
- Prepare the shrimp: If using bamboo skewers, soak 4 to 5 skewers in water for 20 minutes before grilling. If using frozen shrimp, thaw shrimp according to the bag instructions. In a large bowl, combine chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and garlic. Add shrimp and stir until shrimp is fully coated. Let sit until skewers are done soaking. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Prepare the salads: Chop romaine lettuce and slice avocado. Lightly season avocado slices with salt and pepper and drizzle with about a teaspoon of lime juice. Divide the chopped romaine lettuce and avocado slices evenly between large salad bowls.
- Make the dressing: In small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, teaspoon lime juice and salt and pepper to season. Set aside.
- Grill and serve: After grill is heated, place shrimp skewers over heat, close lid, and grill for about one to two minutes per side, until shrimp is opaque and cooked through. Remove skewers and squeeze a few teaspoons of lime juice over the top. Place shrimp in salads and top salad with vinaigrette.
Leave a Comment