Mexican breakfast pizza? Sure, why not?! This low-carb and keto Mexican breakfast pizza has a low-carb tortilla crust that is topped with mashed avocados, shredded cheddar cheese, an over-easy egg, salsa and a little cilantro.
No, this is not a traditional Mexican recipe or even a proper breakfast pizza. Rather, it’s a simple and yummy take on breakfast pizza. And if you love Mexican flavors, you’ll likely enjoy this breakfast pizza too!
This Mexican breakfast pizza takes about 10 minutes to prepare and is simple to make – even if you haven’t made an over-easy egg before.
This Mexican breakfast pizza is just 8 simple ingredients -- not unless you decide to garnish with a little cilantro, which is optional.
The ingredients include one egg, a little butter, salt and pepper, one low-carb tortilla, half an avocado, a half tablespoon of lime juice, a quarter cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and a tablespoon of salsa.
How to Make An Over Easy Egg
An over-easy egg is simply an egg that is cooked on both sides but still has a runny yolk.
Although we're pretty good at cooking an over-easy egg, it doesn't always come out looking perfect. And we're okay that!
The basic steps to cooking an over easy egg are as follows:
- To begin, you'll use a non-stick pan or any pan that is naturally non-stick, such as a cast iron pan.
- Then, melt a half tablespoon of butter on low heat and spread the butter about so it covers the pan.
- Then, carefully crack the egg and break it low to the pan. According to The Kitchn, you should cook the whites, undisturbed, until they turn white (and are no longer opaque) and there is only about a half inch of unset set white around the yolk.
- After, you'll use a wide spatula to flip the egg. For us, this is the trickiest part since the egg is slippery. To flip the egg, you'll want to slide the spatula under the egg until it's at least to the middle of the egg and fully under the yolk. Then, you'll carefully flip.
- Once you've flipped the egg, you'll season it with salt and pepper and cook for roughly 30 seconds, so the egg sets. Then, you'll use the spatula to remove the egg from the pan. Be careful when doing so, as the egg is still delicate and you don't want to tear open the yolk.
Making the Mexican Breakfast Pizza
There are three main steps to making this Mexican breakfast. Each step goes pretty quickly so be sure you got all your ingredients out and are ready to go before you start.
To begin, you'll make a quick a guacamole. You'll cut an avocado in half, lengthwise, and spoon out the flesh from the half that doesn't contain the pit (save the half with the pit for later use). On a small plate, you'll mash the avocado with a fork until it turns into a chunky consistency. Then, stir in a half tablespoon of lime juice and season with salt to taste.
Then, you'll warm up the tortilla by heating a pan on medium heat and adding a little butter. After it melts, you'll warm each side of the tortilla for roughly 30 seconds. After, place on a serving plate and spread the guacamole mixture over the tortilla and top with a quarter cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
Then, it's time to cook the egg. For that, you'll melt a half tablespoon of butter in a non-stick pan over low heat. After the butter is melted and spread about the pan, you'll gently crack the egg and let it cook, undisturbed, for a minute or so, until the egg white is no longer opaque and is white. Then, flip the egg and cook for 30 seconds longer.
When it's done cooking, place the egg on top of the shredded cheddar cheese and top with a tablespoon of salsa. Garnish with a little cilantro if you like. Then you're done! Just be sure to let the yolk ooze out when you eat the pizza!
Other Breakfast Recipes You May Like
Here are some other low-carb an keto breakfast recipes you may like:
Microwave Keto Blueberry Mug Muffin: Who doesn’t love a yummy blueberry muffin for breakfast every once in a while? This keto blueberry mug muffin is quick (only needs a minute or so in the microwave), easy and satisfies any cravings for a blueberry muffin. Best of all, it’s moist and sweet with the right amount of blueberry goodness.
Mediterranean Breakfast Bowl: In this quick Mediterranean breakfast bowl, two hard-boiled eggs are combined with chopped cucumbers and tomatoes, crumbled feta, a little olive oil, minced garlic, and a squeeze of fresh lemon. If you already have hard-boiled eggs on hand, this bowl can be assembled in five minutes. And, it’s such a delicious and healthy way to start the day!
- 1 fajita size low-carb tortilla (roughly 6 inches) — we use Mission, Carb Balance, Whole Wheat Fajita Tortillas
- 1 large egg
- ½ tbs butter
- ½ large avocado
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbs salsa — we use Tostitos Salsa
- salt and pepper to season
- Cilantro to garnish (optional)
- Make the quick guacamole: Cut an avocado in half, lengthwise, and spoon out the flesh from the half that doesn't contain the pit (save the half with the pit for later use). On a small plate, mash the avocado with a fork until it turns into a chunky consistency. Stir in a half tablespoon of lime juice and season with salt to taste.
- Prepare the tortilla: In a non-stick pan, heat a small spoonful of butter on medium heat. When melted add the tortilla and cook for 30 seconds per side. Remove and put on a serving plate. Spread the guacamole mixture over the tortilla and top with a quarter cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cook the egg: In the same non-stick pan, heat a half tablespoon of butter over low heat until melted. Be sure butter is spread about pan. Gently crack egg and break low to pan. Let it cook undisturbed for about a minute or so. The egg is ready to flip once the egg white is no longer opaque and there is only about a half inch of unset set white around the yolk. When it's ready, flip the egg and cook for 30 seconds longer, so the egg sets.
- Finish and serve; When the egg is done cooking, gently remove from pan with a spatula and place on top of the shredded cheddar cheese. Top the egg with a tablespoon of salsa and garnish with cilantro if you like (optional). Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 411.1Total Fat 33.3gSaturated Fat 13.7gCholesterol 252.3mgSodium 572.1mgCarbohydrates 21.0gNet Carbohydrates 5.5gFiber 15.5gSugar 1.4gProtein 18.8g