This carnitas recipe is super simple, whether you use an Instant Pot or slow cooker. Plus, the pork turns out perfectly tender and juicy!
This carnitas recipe is super simple, whether you use an Instant Pot or slow cooker (instructions for both below). The preparation takes less than 10 minutes and the pork turns out perfectly tender and juicy. To make the carnitas even tastier, simply crisp the edges under the broiler for a few minutes and spoon some of the remaining liquid over the carnitas. Yummy!
It’s simple to turn the carnitas into a low-carb or keto meal. You can serve with low-carb tortillas or over a bed of lettuce.
This may not be a 20-minute recipe, but it’s incredibly easy to make and the hands-on time is minimal. If you prefer, you can also prepare as a make-ahead meal since carnitas store well in the refrigerator or freezer.
Crispy Pork Carnitas: Instant Pot and Slow Cooker
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Prepare pork: Cut pork into 2-inch pieces and season with spices (salt, pepper, oregano, cumin). Place pork in pot (slow cooker or Instant Pot) and top with onions, garlic and chipotle peppers. Pour in chicken broth.
- Cook: If using an Instant Pot: After closing lid, turn knob to sealing and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Then, allow pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes. Carefully release remaining pressure by turning knob to venting. Once valve drops, remove lid. If using a slow cooker: Cook on low for about 8 hours or on high for 5 hours. When done, meat should easily shred apart with a fork,
- Finish carnitas: With slotted spoon, remove pork from pot and shred with forks on large cutting board. Turn on broiler and spread shredded carnitas on rimmed baking sheet. Slightly crisp carnitas for roughly 2 to 3 minutes. Keep a close watch on carnitas to prevent burning. Remove from oven and spoon some leftover cooking liquid (several tablespoons) from the pot on top of carnitas and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve: Serve with low-carb tortillas or over bed of chopped lettuce. Toppings may include salsa or pico de gallo, diced avocadoes or guacamole, grated cheese, sliced jalapeños, and/or chopped cilantro.